Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun Violence Continued: Ritchie German with shotgun, handgun and handcuffs...

It seems like these mass shootings have just become a normal part of American culture.

So tragic and heartbreaking. Overwhelming.

I think gun control is a part of the answer, but the easy fall guy to blame for other problems. Banning the sale of assault weapons seems to be a popular idea and one that's more than trivial. Maybe it would help, but the talking heads say there are something like 15 to 20 million assault type rifles in circulation. I don't see making the actual possession of assault weapons illegal in any likely future.

I really don't know the best solution, but with a bunch of highly educated politicians, sociologists, criminologists, and other experts, the people in charge need to stop talking and politicking and do something. If it's wrong, we learn and try something else.

Could it be that gun control is a lot like drug control.
    For decades and decades the government has tried to wage a "war on drugs."
    How well has the prohibition of drugs worked?

How well would a prohibition of guns work?

I am not asking rhetorical questions here. I am asking seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Could it be that gun control is a lot like drug control.
    For decades and decades the government has tried to wage a "war on drugs."
    How well has the prohibition of drugs worked?

How well would a prohibition of guns work?

I am not asking rhetorical questions here. I am asking seriously.
    I don't think people are thinking prohibition of guns. I think they are thinking about reasonable regulations, similar to what you have to do to buy a car, and extending out to restrictions in terms of buying military grade weapons. 2nd amendment folks think, we want no restrictions. If the government falls apart, or some apocalypse happens, or there's a coup, I want what I want to protect my family and my home.

Others think, "you don't need an assault weapon for sport, or for protection. A person invades your space and you don't need a semi-automatic rifle to take him down." And they think, "What's the issue with just asking people to register their firearms the same way people have to register for driving or voting or even fishing!"

A prohibition of guns would soundly not work. It's a delicate balance between protecting the good of society against the rights of the individual.

Long way of saying, I don't have the answer to your non-rhetorical question.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I don't think people are thinking prohibition of guns. I think they are thinking about reasonable regulations, similar to what you have to do to buy a car, and extending out to restrictions in terms of buying military grade weapons.

I would argue that the "reasonable regulations" on cars has not worked... at all. 40,000 automobile related deaths each year. Clearly, it is not working. Of those 40,000 deaths in 2017, 11,000 were drunk driving deaths.

People in the US know that driving is inherently dangerous. They also know that drunk driving is especially dangerous. But people like driving (and driving drunk), so they accept that risk.

Could it be that Americans love their guns and their access to more guns and ammo so much that they are simply willing to accept the risk of frequent mass shootings?

Could it be that Americans love their guns and their access to more guns and ammo so much that they are simply willing to accept the risk of frequent mass shootings?
    Yes.

I wonder what would happen if those who are willing to accept the "collateral damage" of free and open gun ownership had a family member gunned down. That IS a rhetorical question.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town

I wonder what would happen if those who are willing to accept the "collateral damage" of free and open gun ownership had a family member gunned down.
    I am not really sure what you mean.

Certainly some NRA members and other gun advocates have lost relatives and friends in these mass shootings.

I think they were just accepting of it. Like a person who loses a family member in a car accident does not stop driving cars. They just accept that them's da breaks. You know?

I am not really sure what you mean.

Certainly some NRA members and other gun advocates have lost relatives and friends in these mass shootings.

I think they were just accepting of it. Like a person who loses a family member in a car accident does not stop driving cars. They just accept that them's da breaks. You know?
    You are probably right.

You are probably right.
    Essentially I feel that nothing will change. No laws will be enacted. No restrictions or regulations will be enforced.

Police and other first responders will get special training. School children will get special drills. Running with your hands up will become second nature. "Run, hide, fight" will be something kids learn from age 4 when they enter pre-school. Workplaces will have training videos on how to evacuate if there is an active shooter. Stores, malls, nightclubs, and other gathering places will post instructions for what to do if there is a mass shooting. Some will probably have periodic announcements like "In case of..."

This will just be part of American culture, all of this, will simply be part of our culture.

No one should have to live this way. Especially kids. We could make it less common if our politicians weren’t so spineless.

Thread Information