Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 25 of 25

Thread: Bicycling....

  1. #21
    Senior Member razz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    5,591
    Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    On "aggressive" or "fast" cyclists vs. pedestrians on trails.

    There's a difference between a bicyclist out for a pleasant day's sight-seeing, moseying along at 8-10 mph, looking at birds, smelling the flowers, and a bicyclist who is bicycling to get from Point A to Point B. When I am in the commute-mode, I'll be going 15-25mph. This speed isn't really compatible with trails that have pedestrians who aren't paying attention bumbling along.
    I ask this question respectfully. I wonder what the goal of the trails really is? Is it for enjoying nature, hiking with family including strollers or for commuter bikers? How can the two worlds - relaxation and enjoyment biking and hiking vs the commuter - be reconciled?
    Gandhi: Happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony .

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    7,523
    The trails I used were in northern Wisconsin and for recreation. One was next to a river. They weren’t commuting trails.

  3. #23
    Senior Member bae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Offshore
    Posts
    7,751
    Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    I wonder what the goal of the trails really is?
    I think that is a big issue - there are clearly different sorts of trails you'd want to construct to cover the "recreation/nature" use, and the "bicycles as efficient transportation" uses. Using the same trail for both purposes seems problematic - the commuter-trails presumably want to be efficiently-connected to destinations, for instance.

  4. #24
    Senior Member SteveinMN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Saint Paul, Minnesota
    Posts
    5,411
    Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Using the same trail for both purposes seems problematic - the commuter-trails presumably want to be efficiently-connected to destinations, for instance.
    The trails I referred to in my post generally are recreational in nature. There are several "trunk lines", if you will, which are purpose-built as connectors or are converted abandoned railroad right of way. Pedestrian traffic is permitted on those, too, but the combination of pedestrians, recreational cyclists, and commuters seems better -- the pedestrians are not on that path to dawdle and enjoy the sights, and the faster and slower bicyclists can sort out speed differences as car drivers do.

    But so many roads here are poorly set up for bicycle use. Despite their being considered vehicles, bicycles almost always take the hindmost relative to cars and trucks unless there is at the very least a painted stripe (plastic bollards or such on the road help more). Many roads are one or two lanes in either direction and the shoulder very often is where bicyclists end up -- a shoulder with lots of debris and, too often, broken pavement. So cyclists go after the paths that expose them (and their bikes) to less potential damage. Not a happy combination. And this in a region largely renowned for the quality of its bike transportation.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

  5. #25
    Senior Member Rogar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,818
    Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    On "aggressive" or "fast" cyclists vs. pedestrians on trails.

    There's a difference between a bicyclist out for a pleasant day's sight-seeing, moseying along at 8-10 mph, looking at birds, smelling the flowers, and a bicyclist who is bicycling to get from Point A to Point B. When I am in the commute-mode, I'll be going 15-25mph. This speed isn't really compatible with trails that have pedestrians who aren't paying attention bumbling along.
    Our dedicated bike/walking trails here have plenty of use from bike racers, electric bikes which I see going really fast, and recreational walkers and bikes. It's not a good situation. I avoid weekends, but early mornings and off-seasons are very nice. As far as compatibility goes, it's probably subjective.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •