Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best day of your entire life?

Best day of your entire life?

Okay, I got a fun question for you.

What was the best day of your life -- the single best day of your entire existence?
    Tell the story of that day if you'd like to share.

I wish I had my diaries up here in NJ (couldn't fit them in my car) because I would be able to easily answer that questions. One of my "best days" was in high school, and if I recall correctly, it had to do with getting a good grade, my hair looking good, the most popular girl in school complimenting me on the outfit I was wearing (which I had sewn myself), my Latin teacher agreeing with me, and getting the leading role in the Senior Play. That was a very good day.

I'm sure you realize your question is impossible to answer--and my true answer can only be answered in the context of the message of my favorite play "Our Town"--the best day is the day you simply pay attention.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I wish I had my diaries up here in NJ (couldn't fit them in my car) because I would be able to easily answer that questions. One of my "best days" was in high school, and if I recall correctly, it had to do with getting a good grade, my hair looking good, the most popular girl in school complimenting me on the outfit I was wearing (which I had sewn myself), my Latin teacher agreeing with me, and getting the leading role in the Senior Play. That was a very good day.

I'm sure you realize your question is impossible to answer--and my true answer can only be answered in the context of the message of my favorite play "Our Town"--the best day is the day you simply pay attention.
    Impossible to answer? Sure. Also entirely frivolous. I assure you that attempting something simultaneously frivolous and impossible can be fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Impossible to answer? Sure. Also entirely frivolous. I assure you that attempting something simultaneously frivolous and impossible can be fun!
    Absolutely--but it's not easy! So I'll stick with that day in high school.

And yesterday, when I shared FB conversation with my GI neighbors, and my son asked me to join him at the Intervale Thursday dinner, and my other son came up to the island, and I heard from two friends on a particular site that we are both familiar with, and I walked down to the dock to watch the sun set...

It was the best day of my life.. yesterday.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town

I remember a perfect day a few years ago. I didn’t go to work that day. I was home. It was the perfect blend of life - some good food, some cleaning up around the house, some reading, some time with family, some time spent outside. I might have had a short nap. I went to bed thinking I had just lived the most perfect well balanced day.

It depends...
    With the little guy that I mentor, it was the day that he beat me, fair and square, in a game of chess. He was so pleased and I was so proud of him. I have mentored him for 5 years teaching him so many different things and watching this delightful little boy just bloom with delight.
    DH and I went x-country skiing after a fresh snowfall with brilliant blue skies and sunshine and we skied under an extended bower of trees bending over the trail sparkling with snow.
    With my kids, too many memories that are priceless and perfect, for that day as Cath said.
    DGS, at a play in Niagara on the Lake's Shaw Festival.
    This summer, while resting on my lounger, my little dog was sitting beside me, I was listening to my music, smelling the fragrance of the flowers, listening to the birds with a magazine in hand and enjoying the warm early evening and thinking, I am so grateful for this day.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Our wedding day. We had just turned 19. HS sweethearts. We were surrounded by family and friends. We couldn't stop smiling. It was a wonderful ceremony in a packed church followed by photos in the city park across the street. Then the party. Dad threw the traditional Dutch reception with food, drinking and dancing. We had a fantastic celebration.

39 years later we are happier than ever and best friends in this adventure called life. 6/21/80-the day this adventure began.

There is one day in my life, in the early 70's, that when I think of it or refer to it just seems magical. That day was shared with DH and he always agreed that it felt that way to him too. Early 70's, we had been married just a few years and were broke as newlyweds often were back then. We wanted to go on "vacation" but had no money, so we had a one day vacation at a local place not far from us. I made a lunch that we packed in a cooler, drove to our destination and spent the day at various touristy activities/sites, and ate our picnic lunch. On the way home it starting raining and we saw an old man walking beside the road, so we stopped and gave him a ride. Then before we got home we passed a truck that my grandfather was riding in and I remember smiling and waving at him.

So you see, nothing outstanding, except that day has stood out all these years later as a purely magical day. That feeling is not just in hindsight as some of our memories are, but it felt so then and has all these many years later.

Fun thread, I love reading all these responses.
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by Sad Eyed Lady View Post
    There is one day in my life, in the early 70's, that when I think of it or refer to it just seems magical. That day was shared with DH and he always agreed that it felt that way to him too. Early 70's, we had been married just a few years and were broke as newlyweds often were back then. We wanted to go on "vacation" but had no money, so we had a one day vacation at a local place not far from us. I made a lunch that we packed in a cooler, drove to our destination and spent the day at various touristy activities/sites, and ate our picnic lunch. On the way home it starting raining and we saw an old man walking beside the road, so we stopped and gave him a ride. Then before we got home we passed a truck that my grandfather was riding in and I remember smiling and waving at him.

So you see, nothing outstanding, except that day has stood out all these years later as a purely magical day. That feeling is not just in hindsight as some of our memories are, but it felt so then and has all these many years later.

Fun thread, I love reading all these responses.
    That's a beautiful "best day"--thanks for sharing it.

I remember one day when I was traveling in England--I was there for Junior Year Abroad. We wanted to see the moors of the Brontes but we didn't realize what a convoluted public transit journey it was. We had to take a train to York, then a train to Leeds and then a bus to Haworth, and then walk up to the Bronte sisters' father's parsonage.

By the time we got there it was dark--pitch dark. We saw a woman in the church and we asked her where the moors were. She cautioned us against going up there at that time, but she pointed us in the direction, and we headed off.

We walked up the hills until we got to a spot where the heather was literally swooshing around our calves in the wind, but we couldn't even see it. What we could see was the town's twinkling lights down below, silhouettes of horses on hills further up and directly above us millions of stars. It was silent except for the swooshing (and I THINK I did hear Heathcliff calling 'Cathy!' , and it was dark except for lights below and the gloaming above. It was a truly mystical moment and my best travel memory by far.

So, I'm not sure if it qualifies as a "best day" but it was a truly memorable, wonderful day--thanks SEL, for jogging my thoughts.

I am going to attempt to tell the story of my best day (or what was certainly one of my best days).

I found a mostly white puppy with brown and black spots on PetFinder. His name was Adam. So I told my then wife: "I am going to go meet this dog. Just meet him... that is all for now."

She said: "If you are just going to meet him, why are you taking your checkbook?"

We both laughed. So I drove from Tuscaloosa to Birmingham with my other dog in the car (her name is Lilith; I lost her in my divorce).

We drove way up into the hills to a woman's private shelter for dogs. Adam had been picked up a few days prior from the city pound, along with his sister and two other puppies.

They were all sick with worms, kennel cough, and they were emaciated but had big swollen bellies.

I saw Adam there and picked him up. I took him to my car to meet Lilith, to see if they would get along.

Adam was exhausted and lethargic.

But he seemed to get along with Lilith. He also let me easily roll him over on his belly.

Adam's sister was a real cutie -- red stripes on orange fur.

Adam looked like an evil clown.

I figured that his sister would more easily get adopted because of her cuteness. So I decided for certain I was adopting Adam.

I loved him immediately.

So I wrote a check to the woman running the shelter for $75. I scooped Adam into my arms and put him in the car with Lilith.

As we got to the edge of the driveway I said to Adam: "Here we go, to your new life... Harlan."

I took him home, showed him to my then wife, and dropped Lilith with her. I took Harlan to the vet, got all the meds he needed, and went back home. Then I bathed him, fed him, gave him water, and just snuggled him for the rest of the evening.

He will be ten years old tomorrow, my puppy, Harlan.

Thread Information