Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Best day of your entire life?

He looks fun and happy! I can’t pick one best day. I have had many great ones.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    That picture said it all--he was my front man.
    Does that mean that that is you peeking over his shoulder?

He was sick once, and his fellow bus riders all got together and bought and signed a card. I could have dropped dead while riding my bus and no one would have noticed. Opposites definitely attracted in my case.
    I so identify with you on that! When I used to go to parties in situations when my DH couldn't make it, the host would open the door, smile, and then search over my shoulder and ask "Where's J__?" Everyone counts on him to be the life of the party, and I'm happy to be the silent wind beneath his wings.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Does that mean that that is you peeking over his shoulder?
    Yes, indeed.

Greatest day fishing from the shore:

Late summer 2016 I was boot deep in water at a lake I fished at often -- high pressure, spring fed, crystal clear. I was fishing channel cats in the evening. I was catching them good eatin' ones -- about 16 or 18 inches. I was just enjoying the moment, relaxing in a lull, taking in the scenery.

Then...

That line started drawing out...going...going...

I closed the mechanism and slowly lifted to set the C hook as I knew it was a cat by how it swam.
    When I set the hook I could feel it was a hell of a beast!

I fought it and fought it and it fought me and fought me. I fish light lines so I thought for sure it would snap.

But after a good long time I brought it to surface.

It was a Fish Ohio channel catfish! 28 inches long and thick as a dang oak tree!

Just as I reeled it in and got my hands around it to put it in the cooler of ice water three very attractive Asian women walked by! They came right down to the edge of the water and seemed totally amazed!

I felt like king of the world for a moment.

One of them looked me in the eye and said: "IT IS HUGE!"

I said: "Its a good catch, ma'am. Thanks for noticing."

I wrote this once before, on my phone, but it didn't save. I thought I wrote it better the first time, but here goes:

My best day ever was Friday, October 12, 1962, Columbus Day; I had turned 8 years old three days before.

It was a typical windy fall day and my dad was deer hunting in the east side of the state, hours away totally unaware of what was going to happen that weekend. Mom was home with four of us ranging from 10 months to 12 years. Late in the afternoon the wind picked up and mom told us we needed to hunker down in the inner hallway away from all our windows. There we stayed all through the stormy night.

My sister and I wandered out to the front room in time to look out the back door windows and witness our beloved cherry tree being blown to the ground. The roaring wind was exhilarating.

In the days following the storm the small town I lived in was gray but crisp, and sounds of chainsaws were commonly heard from all directions. It smelled like sawdust, fallen leaves and mud puddles. Everyone helped one another with groceries, chores, repairs and watching kids.

We were out of power for the better part of a week. Mom made clam chowder in the fireplace to use up the ingredients before they went bad. The local grocers gave out all their ice cream for free as the freezers were out!

All these sights and sounds and neighborly activity inspired awe and appreciation for the power of nature and kindness of community. The memory is as vivid today as it was then. This is why it is my best day ever. When I think of a time I really felt alive, this is where I go.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Wow Kay, and to think your best day memory involves all those dead trees!

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Wow Kay, and to think your best day memory involves all those dead trees!
    Actually, my dad and grandpa propped up an apple and a pear tree we had and they're still standing as far as I know. But they were all on the ground Oct. 13.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Kay, that was really a good day! Nice that an 8 year old saw and remembered that event.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Kay all of that free ice cream!!. monumental!

Will it sound weird to suggest that despite a great life, I am still anticipating that tomorrow or the next or the next will be the best?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thread Information