Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Best day of your entire life?

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Will it sound weird to suggest that despite a great life, I am still anticipating that tomorrow or the next or the next will be the best?
    Not weird---hopeful!
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Will it sound weird to suggest that despite a great life, I am still anticipating that tomorrow or the next or the next will be the best?
    No, that's the way I feel about it too! My life just keeps getting better. I'm so grateful!

I'm not sure if it's the day at 45 when I finally got diagnosed with PTSD or the first day at 12 after Dad finally fired my Abuser.

Probably the first one: I had tried telling the shrink, the school, my friends, various adults, lying, telling the truth, running away, etc. No one seemed to pay attention.

Dad was on travel one time when I was 12 (Mom died when I was not-quite 4, Abuser was my "mother.") and I got blamed for at least 3 things that morning I hadn't done. Abuser went to the market. Her daughter started in on me. I don't remember if she was spraying me with Right Guard, chasing me so she could beat me up, or chasing me flipping me the bird (which I only knew was bad at the time). I got overwhelmed. Said if she didn't leave me alone, I was going to jump off the balcony!

She said, "Go ahead, I dare you!"

I did.

I caught hell for it from the Abuser and went to the doctor the next day. As far as I knew at the time, it was as futile as everything else. Except it wasn't.

The doctor told my dad he had to fix the problem I had. Eventually, Dad fired her.

I was giddy the next day in 7th grade. Someone had let me out of jail, finally!
    ------
    Getting diagnosed with PTSD meant that I wasn't a wimp, or feeling sorry for myself, or. . . the bizarre behavior I had done for decades suddenly had context. There were things I could do to lessen PTSD's impact.

Hard to untangle those for me. The first one made the healing possible so I got to the second.

So glad your dad finally got rid of that horrible woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    So glad your dad finally got rid of that horrible woman.
    Yes, amen to that.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Thanks!

NewGig: How horrible that you had those experiences in your childhood. So glad it is behind you now!

Following up on my Best Day....I should have written that The Columbus Day Storm of 1962 was a bit of an anomaly here in the PacNW. It originated off Wake Island in the central Pacific and so was a extratropical storm that reached Category 3. All big storms in our area were compared to it by name ever since. According to Wikipedia:

The Columbus Day Storm of 1962 (also known as the Big Blow,[2] and originally as Typhoon Freda) was a Pacific Northwest windstorm that struck the West Coast of Canada and the Pacific Northwest coast of the United States on October 12, 1962. It is considered the benchmark of extratropical wind storms. The storm ranks among the most intense to strike the region since at least 1948, likely since the January 9, 1880 "Great Gale" and snowstorm. The storm is a contender for the title of most powerful extratropical cyclone recorded in the U.S. in the 20th century; with respect to wind velocity, it is unmatched by the March 1993 "Storm of the Century" and the "1991 Halloween Nor'easter" ("The Perfect Storm"). The system brought strong winds to the Pacific Northwest and southwest Canada, and was linked to 46 fatalities in the northwest and Northern California resulting from heavy rains and mudslides.

My story is similar to UL's.

The day my mom and I went to pick up my first dog. The rescue had her freshly bathed and ready to go. We got her home and I started assembling her crate. She went into it before I had the sections secured, just to check it out. It was a big day for her, and when I was eating later, she sat next to my chair, and watched me eat, but she was so tired she kept nodding off. It was so cute. When I fed her, she hesitated and looked at me, as if to say "Is this really mine???" Gemma was the best dog, so smart and well behaved.

My current dog, Willa, was adopted as a senior, deaf and now with a brain tumor. She's special too, but not the same.

BTW, today I officially became the owner of my new pony Merlyn! That's him in my new avatar. He's a small fat pony and my next happiest day of my life will be when I find a saddle that fits him!

Pony, all the animals we rescued are different and some tweak your life more than others but all are valued.

Late to this - I've had three best days. The day each of my children were placed in my arms. There have been good and bad days since, and there will be good and bad days to come, but those three days are still my "best".
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information