Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Best day of your entire life?

I did not know that, IL.

Actually that's not 100%. Their mom looked just like them. We could've adopted her too but at 1 year old they were still trying to nurse. She wasn't having any part of it and kept swatting them away everytime they nosed in for a drink.

Thank you all for your kind words. As difficult as this time is we've had 14 1/2 awesome years with these guys. Regarding the picture, I have no idea how we managed it. This was in the days before smartphones so our regular camera must have been sitting out for some reason and we just lucked out, because no, they were not in the habit of posing like that all day long. Back then there were way too many fun games to be played. There just wasn't much time for sitting around like that.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Actually that's not 100%. Their mom looked just like them. We could've adopted her too but at 1 year old they were still trying to nurse. She wasn't having any part of it and kept swatting them away everytime they nosed in for a drink.

Thank you all for your kind words. As difficult as this time is we've had 14 1/2 awesome years with these guys. Regarding the picture, I have no idea how we managed it. This was in the days before smartphones so our regular camera must have been sitting out for some reason and we just lucked out, because no, they were not in the habit of posing like that all day long. Back then there were way too many fun games to be played. There just wasn't much time for sitting around like that.
    The yellow cat population is 80% male. True, not all yellow cats are male.

Unlike calico cats (actually blue/ cream or black/red) those are sex linked and male cats in that coloration are very rare.

I also seem to recall reading somewhere that almost all white cats with blue eyes are female and deaf. I wonder how much having a deaf cat affects how it socializes with people. Many years ago a friend had a deaf dog and that was quite a project, but since cats are less likely to take direction from their human companions I assume a deaf cat wouldn't be as much of an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    I also seem to recall reading somewhere that almost all white cats with blue eyes are female and deaf. I wonder how much having a deaf cat affects how it socializes with people. Many years ago a friend had a deaf dog and that was quite a project, but since cats are less likely to take direction from their human companions I assume a deaf cat wouldn't be as much of an issue.
    Yes, blue eyed white cats are very often deaf. Odd eyed (one blue, one copper) ones are fine.I dont remember that blued eyed/white is a sex linked gene.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Yes, blue eyed white cats are very often deaf. Odd eyed (one blue, one copper) ones are fine.I dont remember that blued eyed/white is a sex linked gene.
    I had a white, blue-eyed cat. I read somewhere--and have never seen confirmation of it--that, if such a cat has a (gray?) colored patch on its head, it won't be deaf. My cat did have a gray patch that disappeared as she grew, and she could hear. Maybe I dreamed it. I've also heard that odd-eyed white cats are often deaf on the blue-eyed side.

My general observation, not verified in a scientific way exactly, is that white coat is something Mother Mature abhors in cats and dogs. Hence, the white coated animals have a higher percentage of health problems.

White coated bulldogs do, I believe, have a higher risk for skin problems.Mother nature likes brindle and Dingo coloration on dogs, and tabby stripes on cats. These creatures bred by humans to be white, flat faced, etc. are genetic problems waiting to happen.

My white cat came to me via a second story window. Her mother was a stray Siamese who gave birth while I was out for the evening. I came home to tiny meows coming from under my bedclothes. She did die relatively young from a heart condition.

White dogs are also more likely to be deaf than other colors. Centuries ago they bred all the colors out of Maltese. They have lots of health issues.

So sorry about your cat, jp. Looks just like my Braveheart - she was from a feral litter.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information