Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: August Frugals

Yppej
    RR you could stock up on things like toilet paper.

I've always thought this would be fun, to stock up for a year of things like soap and dish detergent and paper products--figure out how much you use in a year and then hit a sale weekend like the no sales tax weekend.
    It would be fun to figure out how much you use of the non perishables you buy over and over.

Went to two estate sales and bought nothing at all. Only thing that appealed was a Japanese screen but it will be 30% off tomorrow, so maybe go back if I decide it would be worth it to me.

Went out to lunch to celebrate a landmark event and shared one fish fry special--there was plenty for both of us.

DH made 7 containers of homemade dog food, helping to clean out the freezer of chicken, squash, and apples before summer produce. The dogs do much better on the food he cooks for them, no allergies.

Yppej & Tybee: We buy things like TP in bulk at Costco. Right now I have about a 3 month supply and my house is small, so it would be tricky to store a year's worth. However, you do raise a good point since we are about due for a Costco run, and all things being equal, we would save a few dollars if we do it this weekend instead of next weekend. We need paper towels, charcoal and kitty litter, which are all taxable. (Groceries and clothing aren't taxed in MA, and booze unfortunately doesn't get exempted during the tax-free event). Our savings would be less than $5.00 though, so if it doesn't happen, that is OK too. The weather is supposed to be good, so I want to take advantage of that for weather-dependent projects.
    Tybee: I have never been to an estate sale. How does one even find out about these? I don't see ads for them like I do for yard sales.

We live in a very very small city, and they are advertised in the local paper. There are also local companies who do estate sales, and there were three going on this weekend--on their website, they will advertise all summer about upcoming sales.

We have bought so many household items at garage sales, such as a woodstove for 300 dollars which retails for 1500. I try to stay practical--bought 4 tubes of unopened caulk for $2 this summer, bought life jackets for a dollar for the visiting grandchildren, that kind of thing.

Estate sales are usually advertised in the newspaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    I've always thought this would be fun, to stock up for a year of things like soap and dish detergent and paper products--figure out how much you use in a year and then hit a sale weekend like the no sales tax weekend. It would be fun to figure out how much you use of the non perishables you buy over and over.
    In our early days I thought it would be great to get 1 paycheck for the year. Pay all the utilities, mortgage, car payments (yes back in the day of mega-debt).

My theory was that we would have a big chunk of leftover money to do something with rather than the 10s and 20s we had.

Then we could buy a years' worth of everything nonperishable. I try to do this with toilet paper. We use 7th Gen and it goes on sale 40% off each April at Fred Meyer for the President's sale. I also buy 4 bottles of the dish liquid. That's about it though for annual stocking.

We stock up on things but not a years worth. We have done well the last few months and absolutely stuck to our dining out/fun money budget. We did this by pulling out the cash at the beginning of the month versus using our debit card. It keeps us honest)

FYI: estatesales.net

Quote Originally Posted by NewGig View Post
    FYI: estatesales.net
    Thanks, NewGig! I will check it out!

DH's blackberry patch is producing nicely this year. He's been picking and freezing in 1 gallon bags. Today I've started our 1st batch of jam. I found a low sugar "french" recipe so we're trying it this year. https://www.bakingoutsidethebox.com/...french-recipe/

Step 1 is in the fridge. I'd call it steeping, but it's cold

At this point we'll get 24 jars from what's already picked and there are many berries still underway out there!

Jam at Farmer's market is running $5-7 per jar. I have the jars and only needed to buy the lids. I'm calling it $100 saved! Plus low sugar instead of the full sugars sold at market.

Thread Information