Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: August Purge

Just finished going through the jewelry of my mom's that I brought back from her house. It's not the good stuff, which she is wearing or is in the safe deposit. But it's the costume jewelry and things like her sorority pin and Dd's fraternity pin. I cleaned the box (which is broken and was disgusting with mouse cr%p in it) instead of getting her a new one, as she might recognize what it is if it's hers. I cleaned the jewelry and polished what I could and I will send it back to her in assisted living. She is in a nice place now and they socialize with other residents and she might want to wear some of it.

I cleaned out some of mine and gave her a couple of pieces of mine.

Everything is clean and put away and ready to mail.

It makes me really sad, but it's better to get it done now while she can still wear it.

I purged a plate from the cupboard that is not blue, not white, not blue and white nor does it spark joy.

My 8-year-old daughter and I found a play "beauty kit" more appropriate for a three-year-old and agreed to pass it on to another kid, which we did very successfully.

New total for month: 6.

Threw out an old meditation pillow that had burst at the seams. New total for month: 7.

Did the last flea market I'd planned today. Sold a bunch o' stuff. Usually we donate more than 1/2 of whatever is left, but the Salvation Army in town had a sign up they weren't taking donations today. They'll be put out at our dump's swap shop, tomorrow! I have no idea how many pieces I sold. I sold a bunch of maps, baskets, a chalkboard, crates,books, sap buckets, etc.

Out with an old iPhone and its box. Bought three pairs of black pants at a yard sale and washed them and two of them are now in my box for the Goodwill. Bought on a whim and sorry now I did, but I need pants I can wear around the house in winter.

Need to get up the nerve to throw out an old suitcase of my dad's that I brought back from his house, full of letters. It's old and needs to go, but it's his. If it were at his house, I could get rid of it.

Somehow I seem to be the caretaker of everyone's castoffs.

Not happy with this.

Don't know if it counts but we pulled out a lot of the garden today. A huge windstorm knocked down most of the sunflowers and they were laying on almost everything else. Sunflower heads now woven into the fence for the birds and squirrels. Tomatoes picked, ready to ripen. Spent most of the day making meals with the produce. Will take bags of veggies to our meals on wheels clients and the rest to neighbors and the food bank. Made eight loaves of pumpkin/apple bread. Will be making several apple pies for our family camp trip next week. The freezer is getting full.....
    I love putting the garden in and I oh so love taking it down when we get into the dog days and it is looking ratty.

Made dog toys out of 11 socks without mates. Went through vitamins/supplements/dog meds and discarded 17 containers. The pills will be dropped off in the bin at the police station on Tuesday when I run errands.

I have been going through cabinets when it’s too hot to be outside in the afternoons. I have one shelf in the big bathroom cabinet left to do, and it looks like tomorrow may be our last day of 100 plus degrees for this season. Nice that it’s working out even.

Did you know that drugs don’t really expire? It was decided there had to be a date but 50 years old drugs were still 70% effective. We never throw any away.,

I just like more info than a blanket statement and so here is one article about drug effectiveness (amazed at what I learned): https://www.health.harvard.edu/stayi...-mean-anything

Thread Information