Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why must everything get more and more complicated??

Why must everything get more and more complicated??

I wasn't sure where to post this. Both the bank where I've had accounts for many years, and the credit union I have belonged to for 43 years have "updated and improved" their online banking websites. It's absolutely ridiculous how complicated they are now. The earlier ones were sooooo compact and simple. Now it's like being in a huge maze. Also, if I want to print out documents now, they are 7-8 pages long, instead of half of that because all the info is so spread out. I think someone has too much time on their hands, to think about how to make something simple, as complicated as possible. Sometimes I can't even find some info on there that used to be so easy to find. It's a bummer.

Every manager who comes along feels it is necessary to change everything (so every third time a new manager is hired, things return to normal). You might lodge a complaint--maybe if they get enough feedback, they'll adjust the site.

I feel the same way about aspects of my library site, but I've found workarounds.

Our accounts at our CU were so complex that we "broke" their computer system one time. Add customers like us to new governmental regulations and privacy concerns, things are just getting more and more complex.

And I don't think it's a matter of being older and not being able to be flexible. Why search through 10 pages for something that used to only take 2?
    I think you're right Jane. It happens with department and grocery stores too. It kinda reminds me of when JC Penney went through a huge change. NOBODY liked it. They got rid of the guy who planned it all and went back to what it was, but I think they lost a lot of customers in the process. I have always LOVED this credit union. I became a member in 1976 when I worked at the university that it started from. They are fantastic about everything. But this change..........it's very disappointing.

I don't think it is being older and inflexible either. I'm pretty savvy with multiple systems since it was my job for 30 years. I'm rarely seeing anything that has improved the way I use it, just more steps to do the same thing. We are always saying..... just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

When my 15 year-old DGS says that things are changing rapidly over the past 3 years and rhymes off the changes, I know that life is changing and will require alertness to keep up with it all.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    And I don't think it's a matter of being older and not being able to be flexible. Why search through 10 pages for something that used to only take 2?
    I think you're right Jane. It happens with department and grocery stores too. It kinda reminds me of when JC Penney went through a huge change. NOBODY liked it. They got rid of the guy who planned it all and went back to what it was, but I think they lost a lot of customers in the process. I have always LOVED this credit union. I became a member in 1976 when I worked at the university that it started from. They are fantastic about everything. But this change..........it's very disappointing.
    Unlike you, I loved the concept of Penney’s “No Sales Ever, we Give You Our Lowest Price NOW” but since
    I shop for clothing chiefly at thrift stores, I wasn’t enough of a customer to keep that concept afloat.

Just finished the book “retrotopia”. It wasn’t the best writing style, and was a little pedantic, but it basically coveted the idea in this post. Technology improves to a certain point and then afterward becomes less useful and even harmful. I think you would enjoy the story, Cathy.

All the talk several years ago of a paperless society hasn't panned out. As CathyA pointed out, much more paper is generated now, where a few pages used to cover everything.
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

This is my main beef with modern life--it's too damn complicated. I have by far the simplest life of anyone I know, and I still can't keep track of all the stuff that I'm supposed to keep track of.

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    Technology improves to a certain point and then afterward becomes less useful and even harmful.
    I've especially noticed this phenomenon at work. Right now, for example, there are no fewer than three different messaging systems competing for your attention--email, the old IM system and the one they are replacing it with (not to mention the phone, which people still use occasionally). Things are constantly popping up on my screen and distracting me from my actual work. I still haven't figured out how IM represents an improvement over email.

I think a lot of technologies have reached a point of diminishing returns. Spreadsheets and word processing enabled quantum leaps in productivity over adding machines and typewriters, but now they have become a drain on productivity in many ways. Technology vendors keep larding on new features because they can, and so they can render the old product obsolete, not because their customers want or need them. Quite the contrary. Most everyone I know dreads the "upgrade" to a new OS or the introduction of some "great new feature," which invariably turns out to be nothing more than a time-consuming pain in the ass.

Thread Information