Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Why must everything get more and more complicated??

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Catherine, do you actually submit paper receipts for business travel?
    I submit them in a pdf file, but I have to start with paper in many cases. I do get many receipts, like hotel and airfare, electronically, but there are a lot of little things like Uber, restaurants, etc that I still have to compile, scan, and then electronically email the pdf of the receipts to my clients.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I submit them in a pdf file, but I have to start with paper in many cases. I do get many receipts, like hotel and airfare, electronically, but there are a lot of little things like Uber, restaurants, etc that I still have to compile, scan, and then electronically email the pdf of the receipts to my clients.
    Why don’t you just print them to pdf? I can understand restaurant receipts since they are given to you as paper, but Uber receipts are already digital, just in the wrong file format.

Quote Originally Posted by Jemima View Post
    I was just trying to decide whether to replace the transmitter for my weather station, get an entire new weather station setup (actually cheaper than replacing the transmitter for the old one), or get downright primitive and use an old-fashioned outdoor thermometer. My narrow front porch wraps around the kitchen, which is where I have the partially disabled old weather station, so walking to a window to see how cold it is out there is no great inconvenience. I decided on the outdoor thermometer, whose ad copy was bragging about how primitive it is. No buttons, whee! No hassling with resetting the time, time zone, etc. after replacing the batteries! (If you're wondering why I don't just step outside to see how cold it is, I'm 74, am told I have osteoporosis, and am very concerned about black ice on my two-car size parking pad which I *must* cross to get to the car or take out the trash. I really need to know if the temperature is below freezing or not). The original weather station is a technological nightmare, from the teensy-tiny screws that have to be removed to get at the battery compartment in the transmitter to resetting the time on the main screen, which can take a number of tries through several steps, and then getting the transmitter to actually transmit to the receiver which usually requires a lot of foul language plus divine intervention. I might add that the weather station is in the kitchen because I've never been able to find a battery operated clock small enough to fit anywhere that I can see while cooking, so the weather station is parked on the windowsill over the sink. Oh, and those screwdrivers - they didn't come with the original weather station. I bought a whole set of them at a dollar store one browse-y afternoon because they might be useful someday for an eyeglasses repair. That was years ago, and I have no idea where I'd ever find another set. And this is just about one item. 'Ease of use' is getting higher and higher on my priority list.
    We have a big thermometer hanging outside the dining room. If I were you I would buy a thermometer (it's like a big clock) and hang it outside by the sink window.

We also bought a weather stick for under 5 dollars--it actually does a great job predicting good/bad weather. Here is what it looks like:

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    I keep getting notifications from my cell carrier - Tracfone - that I need to upgrade my phone to work on the new 5G system at the end of the year. I just bought this phone two years ago and my dh got the exact same phone. He, however, has not been getting the notifications.
    I suspect that notification is a sales tactic, kind of like the postcards you get from car dealers promising an unusually large trade in value on the car you bought from them 2-3 years earlier. They make money selling you a new vehicle and (likely) make money reselling the vehicle you trade in.

The fact is that 5G is the future, but, as William Gibson said, it isn't evenly distributed yet. Right now no one can simply point to a random spot on a map of the U.S. and expect 5G coverage. And tens of millions of existing phones cannot access the 5G bands. In addition, MVNOs (like Tracfone) rarely are at the leading edge of technology. So you likely have at least two more years with your current phone before it is in danger of no longer handling calls because the bands it uses have been reapportioned to other "G"s.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    Jemima, my current phone, is a Samsung candy bar style, SGH-T199. Because of various things I'd listened to, (and having my old 2G phone stop working in areas, like my home, I upgraded to that and just recently bought an Alcatel 4044 4G flip phone. The other option is the newer style, Nokia 2720 4G flip, but I haven't seen any real American models, just grey market ones.
    I was going to write that a "flip" phone (euphemized as a "feature" phone or "simple" phone, depending on the seller) might be the ticket for Jemima. The only issue might be the size of the screen and display elements. Some phones (from Doro, Alcatel, and some others) might address those issues. All have their own restrictions but none of them are data-intensive even if they offer apps/clients for Facebook, Whatsapp, etc.

I had a 2720 back when they were first introduced; loved that phone but managed promptly to lose it. Right now, I have a Nokia 3310 3G I won in an auction cheap (always been a Nokia fan and the retro look -- and the $15 price -- got to me). The 3310 is another update on a Nokia classic. It's the phone we keep around if we're doing dirty work and don't want to be carrying anything expensive or don't know where our smartphone is. I have no desire to ditch my iPhone for it but I could see where it would serve someone well if they think they should have a phone but don't want to spend hundreds on an Android or iOS phone.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    And I don't think it's a matter of being older and not being able to be flexible. Why search through 10 pages for something that used to only take 2?
    I think you're right Jane. It happens with department and grocery stores too. It kinda reminds me of when JC Penney went through a huge change. NOBODY liked it. They got rid of the guy who planned it all and went back to what it was, but I think they lost a lot of customers in the process. I have always LOVED this credit union. I became a member in 1976 when I worked at the university that it started from. They are fantastic about everything. But this change..........it's very disappointing.
    Cathy, I can relate regarding the credit union. I bank at Arizona Central Credit Union and they are becoming more complex and more bank like every year. I've been with them since a few months after I returned to Arizona in 1996 - they were once wonderful and now I'm seeking a new credit union. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    I suspect that notification is a sales tactic, kind of like the postcards you get from car dealers promising an unusually large trade in value on the car you bought from them 2-3 years earlier. They make money selling you a new vehicle and (likely) make money reselling the vehicle you trade in.

The fact is that 5G is the future, but, as William Gibson said, it isn't evenly distributed yet. Right now no one can simply point to a random spot on a map of the U.S. and expect 5G coverage. And tens of millions of existing phones cannot access the 5G bands. In addition, MVNOs (like Tracfone) rarely are at the leading edge of technology. So you likely have at least two more years with your current phone before it is in danger of no longer handling calls because the bands it uses have been reapportioned to other "G"s.
    Thank you so much!!! I won't worry so much about this now.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Why don’t you just print them to pdf? I can understand restaurant receipts since they are given to you as paper, but Uber receipts are already digital, just in the wrong file format.
    Pretty much the same thing--I could save as a PDF but would have to remember to scale it correctly--otherwise is saves the same way it prints. Then I have to compile all receipts into one document, scan and then send.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post

Hmm, within 10 minutes after I read this post about 5G, I saw this Scientific America article that my permaculture teacher posted on FB about 5G. Maybe we need to start a thread combining this type of news with the news about hair dye and cancer risk in another thread!

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com...ujdqoZim7nwhcs

Thread Information