Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sheets and blanket or duvet in summer

Sheets and blanket or duvet in summer

As i washed and then made the bed with the fresh clean sun-dried sheets this afternoon, I wondered how to make things easier and more comfortable.
    I believe that in Scandinavia, beds are made up with just lower sheets and a duvet on top. Both items get washed routinely. Sounds easy and comfy. What do they do in the warm summery temps?

In summer, I have both cotton bottom and top sheets and a light cotton blanket to pull over my shoulders in the early morning hours. I have a lightweight down duvet for fall and spring and a warm wool duvet for winter. I am considering getting rid of the top sheet which is a pain to keep in place. I lift the mattress each time and fold it under. Would a washable duvet better? What do you do for bedding?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I don’t tuck in the top sheet. I can’t sleep with sheets pressing down on my feet so I like them loose. I use bottom and top sheet only in the summer and add a light blanket the rest of the year.

Sometimes I forgo the top sheet. I have heard this is "European" style and have noticed on some T.V. shows just a comforter or duvet rather than a top sheet on the bed. Much easier to deal with, but you do have to wash the duvet more often of course. I use a lightweight down blanket on top for summer.
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

We have a duvet and I hate it. Getting the comforter out and back in after washing is a pain. And I never want anything that warm when I sleep anyway. I just need a light blanket, so SO uses the duvet and I sleep under a top sheet and light blanket. He doesn't like top sheets so he actually sleeps on top of it. Consequently I let him decide when the duvet cover needs washing so it only gets washed once a month. (usually after the amount of cat puke has become intolerable.)

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    We have a duvet and I hate it. Getting the comforter out and back in after washing is a pain. And I never want anything that warm when I sleep anyway. I just need a light blanket, so SO uses the duvet and I sleep under a top sheet and light blanket. He doesn't like top sheets so he actually sleeps on top of it. Consequently I let him decide when the duvet cover needs washing so it only gets washed once a month. (usually after the amount of cat puke has become intolerable.)
    Exactly. I figured wrestling the comforter into the duvet cover was more trouble than just making a bed With a top sheet. I do throw a comforter on top, a Light one, it is easy to wash. Ditto the cat puke.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 8-3-19 at 9:15pm.

I use top and bottom pima cotton sheets in summer, with a light blanket on top. Winter is a flannel bottom sheet and duvet in a flannel duvet cover.

This is the way to fill the duvet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1IzS2oBBN0 It is as easy as it looks.

This is the way to fill the duvet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1IzS2oBBN0 It is as easy as it looks.
    Thanks so much for this link. It will make life a lot easier.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Bottom sheet and a duvet for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Simplemind View Post
    Bottom sheet and a duvet for us.
    Seriously considering doing this as it sounds like a lot less effort.

I truly hate duvets, and I've actually watched the video that pony mom shared, and it's still frustrating to me. So I keep the top sheet. I love simple white sheets and down/fake down comforters, and that's what we do. I'd rather stick a top sheet in the washer than wrestle with that extra heavy piece of bedding.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information