Thread: House on border of "Clean Energy corridor"

House on border of "Clean Energy corridor"

We are looking at a house that backs up (literally adjoins) the "clean energy corridor" that Central Maine Power cut through Maine (delivers power from Canada to Massachusetts.)
    You can see the giant towers and the high tensile wires.

The house is selling at a discount, and I am guessing this is the reason.

You are buffered by woods in the back and the corridor is 150 feet wide, but it's there and some people think it is unhealthy--emfs, etc.

Would you all consider such a house or reject it?

Thanks for ideas and input in advance.

I would research and see if there have been a lot of people with health issues in that area.

A very quick Google search resulted in this: https://en.geovital.com/how-close-is...n-power-lines/

My personal bias, not based on science, is to try to avoid living in close proximity to power lines, but I'd love someone else to tell me why I'm right or wrong about that.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    A very quick Google search resulted in this: https://en.geovital.com/how-close-is...n-power-lines/

My personal bias, not based on science, is to try to avoid living in close proximity to power lines, but I'd love someone else to tell me why I'm right or wrong about that.
    Thanks, Terry, and thank you Catherine for this link. I appreciate the research--I am leaning towards avoiding the house--actually, there are three on the road which is kind of a tell tale sign in itself.

I mentioned it to my husband and he says, just pass.

The link seems to be a bit fringe/pseudo-science for my taste, education, and experience.

That said, I wouldn't like to live near those lines because of the impact they have on common and uncommon household appliances - in particular it would play heck with the radio telecommunications gear I use.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    That said, I wouldn't like to live near those lines because of the impact they have on common and uncommon household appliances - in particular it would play heck with the radio telecommunications gear I use.
    I hadn't thought of that.

A fellow quilter lived near some towers. Her computer monitor was badly skewed by them and she developed some serious health issues. I wouldn't consider living near them, personally.

Interesting, Jane--I was thinking more of the health but the computer issue is what Bae brought up. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Interesting, Jane--I was thinking more of the health but the computer issue is what Bae brought up. . .
    Not just computers, but all sorts of things misbehave. It'd drive me crazy - you can of course devise solutions to all of that, but what a pain in the patoot.

I'm also so spoiled right now - with a simple antenna I can make in about 5 minutes and a radio powered by a very small battery, I can chat with people in Japan and Russia while sitting on my deck, because there is so little radio/electrical noise at my location. That'd not be possible next to a transmission line.

The things that one learns about on this site - very interesting.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thread Information