Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My Alaskan Life

Lots to take in that I had never considered before so no lack of interest from me.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I didn't realize bear was hunted for food. I'm in Massachusetts, and the most exotic meats I've had the opportunity to try are deer, goat, bison, ostrich and antelope. Hopefully I'll have the chance to try bear some day.
    When I think of wild Alaskan food, I think of Sockeye - yum!

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    When I think of wild Alaskan food, I think of Sockeye - yum!
    I spent 3 years in Anchorage and never tried bear, when I think of Alaskan food I think of Alaskan King Crab legs, each one as long as your arm. Mega Yum!
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanGuy View Post
    wow.. did I post this in the wrong forum???
    Looks like this one got traction after all! Interesting stuff, amigo.

I had bear chili once. It was yummy!

In my neck of the woods, my neighbors hunt and process deer on their own. Even as a one-time vegetarian, I totally respect them for killing them for sustenance. It's not easy work. So much better than the throw-away, mindless McDonald's culture where the life of the animal is so far removed from the experience of eating the over-processed, over-packaged, undervalued meat in that burger that's sold to people who will buy it for a couple of bucks and eat it in their cars on their way to work while worrying about their first meeting. If you're going to eat meat, respect it and be grateful. AlaskanGuy, in your "work" as a hunter of bear meat, you have to confront a relationship with the bear, and the concept of giving up life to sustain life is a real concept. It takes skill and risk on your part. The rest of us buy sanitized "meat" wrapped in cellophane, or processed down to the point where it can be sold so cheaply people can throw it away without feeling bad, and there goes the life of an animal that frankly is no different than than the dog that sleeps at your feet.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

When we were young my husband hunted deer and turkeys. He did all the butchering with his dad and we ate it. We lived in upstate New York then.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I spent 3 years in Anchorage and never tried bear, when I think of Alaskan food I think of Alaskan King Crab legs, each one as long as your arm. Mega Yum!
    Oh yes, those too! How could I forget??

Naukati Bay, Prince of Wales Island, Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Is your child able to help you with Homestead tasks?
    I know!

ok-how long does it take you to prepare a bear carcas? ...How many lbs of meat does a bear typically yield?

What is your most common recipe or two that you make with the bear meat?

Do you have a vegetable garden?

Is your child able to help you with Homestead tasks?

edited ro say: I wrote some of this post before reading your last two posts about bear meat processing. It is very interesting.
    yes, My special son helps with just about everything except cleaning.. not very detail orientated.. but everything else.. including cooking..

my most common recipe is bacon bear burgers.. that is why I use bacon as suet... perfect for burgers... just add some cheese and onions.. Yummy also makes a good meatloaf. spring bear has almost no fat though... so you need to add something.

from the time i make a kill to ready for a freezer depends on weather of course, but I can gut and skin a bear in an hour, and takes me a solid 1/2 day to butcher, bag and so forth.. meat quanity depends on the size of the bear, but usually about 50-60lbs of bear burger..

and yes I have a garden, but that is for another thread..

Naukati Bay, Prince of Wales Island, Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    you wont get an arguement from me sir!!!! yummy..

Thread Information