Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My Alaskan Life

I have friends who shoot deer and elk and a few who process their own, but it's mostly breaking down the carcass and making burgers/sausage out of what isn't easily made into muscle cuts. Bear is on a whole different level. So thanks for the education!

What do you do with the rest of the bear (skin, bones, sinew, etc.)?
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Naukati Bay, Prince of Wales Island, Alaska
    well, as far as the guts and such, bear liver and heart are way to High in vit A and could cause real problems.. there is a ton of sinew in a bear... I keep all scraps except guts and hide for crab and shrimp pots.. the hide gets salted, dried and set aside in my shop.. i dont do brain tanning anymore cuz it is just way too labor intensive.. the chems required for a chemical tan are not allowed to be shipped via air, so the hides just seem to stack up in a corner of my shop, stiff as a board. this fall, I am going to get a younger fat bear. the fat is wonderful for all sorts of stuff, cooking, and my favorite bullet lube. nothing works as good as bear fat for muzzleloading lube... as far as what happens to the bones, you are gunna have to ask her..

image.jpg

i think she hides them...

Lucky dog...
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Thread Information