Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: think I have two job offers

Excellent news, anm! Fill us in once you've chosen.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Hooray, what wonderful news!

I went with the job with:

- the lesser commute, a 1/2 hour or less each way rather than the hour each way, I am doing now and probably would at the other. This will help my sanity a great deal!
    - expressed no hesitation in hiring me and in fact didn't even put me through a planned 2nd round of interview, but just hired me and met my salary negotiations when I asked slightly more than they planned
    - actually gave me a job offer

the position I did not take:
    - had equal pay and better benefits, 401k matching (unlike the one I took) etc., the recruiter promised there was lots of money to be had, and for various reasons this is actually *possible*, but since most of that hyped up money was all theoretical bonuses etc. and not in the contract, can not believe entirely what a recruiter might say. Only the 401k matching would have been there and the other benefits were slightly better, that was actually company policy
    - might have looked more impressive on a resume, better networking maybe
    - probably would have quickly given me a job offer if pressured by the recruiter, I was their #1 candidate the recruiter reported a bit surprised, they were doing a background check and requesting ever more information from me for it, I mean this is almost sure signs of a job offer coming, companies almost never do a background check otherwise in my experience. And yet .. no actual job offer yet and it had been a couple weeks since the interview. Their hesitation they had about me from the recruiter was supposedly I was not excited enough about working there. I always do my best performance at interviews, I psyche myself up to almost no end, but sometimes the psyching sticks more, and some are so tricky and hinge on intangibles like that (and it seems that interviews are becoming more and more about such intangible nothings - not a good thing, acting is not my strength, doing the job is!!!). I took the bird in the hand, lest I become the dog and it's reflection of a bone (https://fablesofaesop.com/the-dog-and-the-shadow.html)
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    I went with the job with:

- the lesser commute, a 1/2 hour or less each way rather than the hour each way, I am doing now and probably would at the other. This will help my sanity a great deal!
    - expressed no hesitation in hiring me and in fact didn't even put me through a planned 2nd round of interview, but just hired me and met my salary negotiations when I asked slightly more than they planned
    - actually gave me a job offer

the position I did not take:
    - had equal pay and better benefits, 401k matching (unlike the one I took) etc., the recruiter promised there was lots of money to be had, and for various reasons this is actually *possible*, but since most of that hyped up money was all theoretical bonuses etc. and not in the contract, can not believe entirely what a recruiter might say. Only the 401k matching would have been there and the other benefits were slightly better, that was actually company policy
    - might have looked more impressive on a resume, better networking maybe
    - probably would have quickly given me a job offer if pressured by the recruiter, I was their #1 candidate the recruiter reported a bit surprised, they were doing a background check and requesting ever more information from me for it, I mean this is almost sure signs of a job offer coming, companies almost never do a background check otherwise in my experience. And yet .. no actual job offer yet and it had been a couple weeks since the interview. Their hesitation they had about me from the recruiter was supposedly I was not excited enough about working there. I always do my best performance at interviews, I psyche myself up to almost no end, but sometimes the psyching sticks more, and some are so tricky and hinge on intangibles like that (and it seems that interviews are becoming more and more about such intangible nothings - not a good thing, acting is not my strength, doing the job is!!!). I took the bird in the hand, lest I become the dog and it's reflection of a bone (https://fablesofaesop.com/the-dog-and-the-shadow.html)
    Sound very wise--you went for substance over ephemera!

I agree--sounds like you made a great choice--congratulations! I'm so happy for you.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

We need to have a little celebratory party for ANM! Yay!

The last job I had, which I had for 25 years (crazy long, I do not recommend that!) was one in a few interviews. It was simple: they talked to me, showed me around, paraded a few outsode department people thru to meet me, and said at the end of the interview “we will be sending you a job offer.” No drama and seeming gratefulness to have a decent candidate. . The other places involved role playing (oy vay!) and other somewhat complex interactions that seemed artificial.

The simplicity won the day in my mind.

I always thought the expectation of giddy enthusiasm at the very thought of working somewhere was a marker for one's capacity for sucking up, and it would have been a red flag for me, too. (Probably why my Microsoft interview went nowhere...)

Congratulations ANM, it sounds like you made the perfect choice!

Congratulations, ANM! There's something to be said for grabbing the sure thing, especially since this job seems to meet your needs and wants. Good luck!
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Sounds like a good fit for you!

Glad that worked out well and the shorter commute is definitely worth a lot.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thread Information