Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hay from Iowa City!

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Can you frame the mobile home and insulate that? Years ago, a neighbours did that and lived in it with 6 kids.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    Concur. I've seen a bit of this in winter country in the northwest. They build around the windows so light still comes in. They've also left the ends completely open.
    Man garage: I've seen 400 feet to 4000 feet. Most will put in a half bath. We had friends do this in Northern Idaho. This was built first and fully insulated. They lived there for a year (summer in tents outside). While he built their home himself. He is a finish carpenter by hobby. They and their 2 young girls thoroughly enjoyed the year long journey and have stories to tell.
    Quote Originally Posted by dado potato View Post
    I have seen this in the northwoods of WI also. Often a more permanent structure is built on the site later.
    Hi Razz, Gardnr and dado potato, but I'm not sure what you mean. Like a pole barn built around it? Living in a tent? Wow! lol
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I lived in Iowa city when I went to graduate school. I love Iowa City.
    It is a neat town and Ive lived here most of my life, but its not the Mayberry it used to be. One side of town I simply avoid so I don't get robbed. The police will pull you over for any reason or make one up. And my property taxes are rising over 6% a year! They are almost $5K now! Plus my home, which is on the bus route to work, is a 4 bed room and I don't need that amount of space after my divorce. What I need is a 1000 square foot house with a 2000 square foot garage. But Ive been watching the market for years and have never seen anything I'm interested in.
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    Welcome, Mike!
    Foam board (polystyrene?) doesn't have much of an ability to insulate. And in some locales (like mine, in the state right above yours) it doesn't meet building code, either. So you might want to look for a better insulator, like isocyanate (or maybe you're already using that). And check building code. But I'll carry this over to your Housing post. Looking forward to more posts from you!
    Thanks SteveinMN! Isnt isocyanate considered foam? Anyway, I'm not researching the walls yet and yes I would probably use isocyanate.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    Almost need to see how disassembled the trailer is first, before making suggestions. My thoughts would be to use the trailer as is and use the other money, building a larger garage, where you make a home in that. (either have the house in the garage, which I have seen, or have hook ups for the RV in the garage, to keep wind and such from the trailer)
    The 16x80 trailer isn't disassembled. But I do know the trusses are 2x2 and 3:12 with about half of it cathedral ceiling the other half flat. The outside walls are 2x4 and floor joists are 2x8.
    But Im on the fence also wondering if I'm spending a dollar to save a dime in utility costs. But I honestly don't know how long it will take to build the garage because I don't live there yet as its 45 minutes away close to Millersburg iowa. It might take 10 years, but thats about how many years I have before I retire..

Do you folks think I'm going over board removing my roof decking (I need a new roof anyway), doubling my insulation R-value, screwing overhanging 2x4's to each 3:12 pitch truss to make a 18" ventilated soffit? Which would create a 4" ventilation space combined with a ridge vent to make it more energy efficient? Or another option would be removing one row of decking at the ridge and replacing it after we blow more insulation in. Then screw the sleepers over the plywood and trusses and deck over them?

This project would add $4k to the $7K roof.

Or should I just put AG metal over it? But I have 8 static mushroom vents and rest assured, a seam would land on most of them.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by spazatac
    Isnt isocyanate considered foam?
    It is, but you mentioned "foam board" in your original post. I've never seen isocyanate in board form though I suppose someone could spray it and then cut it into boards. I figured you meant the styrofoam boards that are sized to fit between joists; those are not to code everywhere and they're not all that effective.

I can't speak to your roof choices; much depends on what you have to pay for energy. Electric? Natural gas? LP gas? How efficient is the furnace? Windows? And doubling R-value is great, but there's doubling from, say, R-30 to R-60 and there's doubling from R-10 to R-20. The latter is better than nothing but it's not going to save you all that much. A soffit would be a good idea from the standpoints of not having water rolling down the sides of the trailer (into whatever it can find) and/or onto the ground immediately around the trailer (though it's not like there would be a basement or crawlspace which would get messed with).
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Its propane and I believe the furnace was changed out but its not a high efficiency. That's my expertise though. Ive changed out hundreds of furnaces and AC units roof top's water heaters etc etc.

I should have looked into isocyanate's a bit more but had you said spray foam, I would have said heck no. After watching the video below, I would prefer the let the factory mix and cure it instead of a contractor or kid he hired as the mixing ratio is important.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Hh5MYv7lWc

Ive spent some time at green building advisor and they prefer EPS on the exterior for cold climates.

https://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com...foam-beats-r-6

I wish I could calculate the payback time of my plan. I imagine it would finally pay for its self if I continued to live in the mobile home the rest of my life. But if I build the garage and build a 1 bedroom apartment in the corner in 10 years, probably not. Decisions decisions..

What struck me is that my GF pays twice as much for utilities in the mobile home than I do for my 4 bedroom in town. But since the taxes are only $600 a year, its still cheaper to live out there.

Ah, the Rolling hills of eastern Iowa! DH and I are both from
    Iowa, he from Humboldt, me from Altoona.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 8-7-19 at 10:45pm.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Are, the Rolling hills of eastern Iowa! DH and I are both from
    Iowa, he from Humboldt, me from Altoona.
    Hi Iris. Having grown up in Iowa, I didn't realize how beautiful Iowa was until I left.

Quote Originally Posted by spazatac View Post
    Ive spent some time at green building advisor and they prefer EPS on the exterior for cold climates.

https://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com...foam-beats-r-6
    Interesting. Most of my experience is as a consumer and with fiberglass and cellulose. We had polystyrene foam boards on the inside walls of our below-grade basement; when I learned it was not code-compliant, I pulled it out. I can't say I notice that the basement is colder for its absence. Friends of ours built themselves an off-the-grid home maybe 20 years ago when isocyanate was The Thing. Apparently additional study has mitigated that star status.

Quote Originally Posted by spazatac View Post
    What struck me is that my GF pays twice as much for utilities in the mobile home than I do for my 4 bedroom in town.
    So many variables: how warm/cold is the thermostat set; efficiency of the heating/cooling appliances; air movement/infiltration; cost of the fuel; etc. In the end, though, for overall costs of living, that can be a bit of a black box. The tricky bit comes in figuring out how much money one spends to try to lower that part of the monthly cost.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Welcome, no real ideas here. We're switching to rockwall because it's a log home and the rockwall is naturally fire resistant. Also, re the assessment? If you can stand it, let your lawn/yard go to weeds. Worked for us, until this year, when they reappraised us, again.

Quote Originally Posted by NewGig View Post
    Welcome, no real ideas here. We're switching to rockwall because it's a log home and the rockwall is naturally fire resistant. Also, re the assessment? If you can stand it, let your lawn/yard go to weeds. Worked for us, until this year, when they reappraised us, again.
    Thanks NewGig. Ill assume you meant rockwool or Mineral wool and considering I just learned its made from volcanic rock, fire proof.

What gets me, is both of my property's are assessed much higher than anyone would pay. Every time Ive asked for a reassessment I say no one in there right mind would pay the assessed price. I wonder if by doing so flags me as a trouble maker and puts me on their radar.

Mornin everyone.. I cant get enough of this view and I'm not sure if it's the beauty, or the fact I can see um coming from a long ways away.. Katie my GF says you get used to it, but I don't think I'll ever take it for granted.

I remember some ideas around using hay bales around the skirting or even a double wall for a mobile. You could probably google some info.

Thread Information