Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lughnasad to equinox

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    That trend, painting it all with chalk paint, has been around for a while.It is part of the shabby chic look that isnt going away.
    Right - I remember my mom "antiquing" a dresser in the early 1970's. Soon after, "old wood" was fashionable again. Now we're painting. I'm planning on painting our 1970's builder's grade bathroom and kitchen cabinets in the next few months, so I'm not bashing it. Just saying I won't be surprised to see folks wanting original wood again in the next 10-15 years.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Yppej
    I cleaned up the weeds where the brush had been. Now I need to cut down plants for fall. I noticed the peonies are all discolored white, so they will be first on my list.

I am actually planning to paint this cupboard. I think it would take more of my life's energy than I'm willing to expend to get it clean enough to refinish as a "brown" piece. There are many gloppy layers of paint on it that make the doors stick, and the hardware is all painted which looks crappy. So my goal is to kind of start from scratch and prime and paint it properly.
    I expect this weird little cottage will be considered a tear-down once we depart, so I don't really see myself as the custodian of OMHC for posterity. I guess I'm really just doing it for my own satisfaction because I think it's a really cool piece.
    I do see some wonderful antique pieces that have been chalk painted and it kind of makes me cringe. I think it's a great look for old generic pieces, but not for really fine wooden furniture. I agree that people will be stripping a lot of these pieces in the future.

Good work Yppej! I definitely need to get some weeding done!

Quote Originally Posted by beckyliz View Post
    Just saying I won't be surprised to see folks wanting original wood again in the next 10-15 years.
    Right? Our kitchen and bath cabinets are solid Alder. We've been here 28.5y. I'll never paint them nor will I ever replace them.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    I am actually planning to paint this cupboard. I think it would take more of my life's energy than I'm willing to expend to get it clean enough to refinish as a "brown" piece. There are many gloppy layers of paint on it that make the doors stick, and the hardware is all painted which looks crappy. So my goal is to kind of start from scratch and prime and paint it properly.
    I expect this weird little cottage will be considered a tear-down once we depart, so I don't really see myself as the custodian of OMHC for posterity. I guess I'm really just doing it for my own satisfaction because I think it's a really cool piece.
    I do see some wonderful antique pieces that have been chalk painted and it kind of makes me cringe. I think it's a great look for old generic pieces, but not for really fine wooden furniture. I agree that people will be stripping a lot of these pieces in the future.

You might want to look at Heritage All in One paint. It has good reviews. I'm going to use it to paint my cupboards. It has the primer, chalk paint and sealer. You clean the wood with a degreaser/deglosser and paint a couple of coats. if you're painting a light color, you'll need to use a primer like kilz.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

Thanks for the suggestion, Beckyliz; I will look into it. I used to always have good luck with Rustoleum glossy enamel, although it's been many years.

i made six nice pots in my class, using several new techniques. I picked them up this week. I really really like two of them.

my syllabi and welcome letters are done. My classes are set up on Canvas and ready to go live on Sunday.
    My classroom is in good shape - they hadn’t finished cleaning my watermats (those area rugs that hold water and dirt) so I have a little bit of furniture to put back in place before the open house on Sunday - 20 minutes tops, ten if one if my students shows up to help.

no swimming this week, but yoga once and three hours of stall cleaning that left me sore.

progress continues on the home pottery studio.

basement/garden/barn have been hit and miss.

and I have done no cooking.

i still need to do some lesson plans by sept 4.

CL: Sounds like you're in good shape for the commencement of classes. I have done no cooking for pretty much my entire life, so don't feel bad.
    I did a lot of work on the cupboard today, spent at least 4 hours. I've definitely reached that turning point where I know that barring an unforeseeable disaster, I am going to get this sucker done!

Yppej
    I checked out the last of the books on the list I am working through from the library.

Thread Information