Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wedding shower rant

It used to be one baby shower but now some are doing it for every kid. My MIL did throw a second baby shower for my second but it was my husband’s first child. Also because of divorce and moving across the country I had nothing left over from my first. That was nice but I was surprised.

I got a baby shower with each of my 3 kids. Not because I wanted them but everyone really wanted to do a shower. With my 3rd I had people bring frozen meals, that was perfect!! Sometimes it is the friends or family that insist on giving a shower and not the couple or parents to be. I know my sister is in a situation where her MIL is pressuring her to give a shower for a young relative who doesn't really want one. They are hoovering me a little because the young couple are vegan and I know how to make the food. We are all gently encouraging the MIL to let it go.

When my Dd got married she had multiple showers - all given by his side of the family and involving different subsets.they had been living together for a year, but needed stuff. I was surprised at many of the gifts, they seemed like wedding gifts, not shower gifts. Apparently she married the favorite child of a huge family.

My dil had one shower given by her family. I attended and took a nice gift. I asked ds if HE wanted a shower - for tools and practical stuff, but he said no.

i had baby showers with all three kids. The first child, the shower was given by my family and I got a lot of Toys and gadgets. The second child, the shower was given by the organization where I worked, by people who had seen how I was raising the first child, and knew how little I was paid. I got a lot of really useful stuff like diapers and crib sheets and baby socks.

My third child was very late. She was born after dh had already delayed his start date for a new job in a new city twice. He had to leave when she was 2 days old and I had to pack for the move - I had two weeks before he and the truck would arrive. I had a small, tight group of friends, and the day he left, one of them showed up at my door with a couple of sheets of paper and said “you have a boy and a girl and you are moving - here is your “baby shower” it told me who would pick my older two kids up every morning, where they would be at lunch time, and who would bring them home with our dinner each evening. I broke down in tears.

CL, the gift for your third child was an inspiration. These are all interesting to read about. Sometimes, we feel we alone are going through some of life's frustrations and it is nice to hear other viewpoints.
    Gandhi: Happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony .

CL, what a great gift your friends gave you the third time. Love hearing the stories.

My nephew recently got married. They have purchased property and are getting ready to build a house. They asked for money towards a honeymoon in Italy. Without getting into the financial irresponsibility from that side of the family.... we elected to get them a gift card to Home Depot to help with expenses with that new home. Dang dude..... I haven't even been to Italy!

Quote Originally Posted by Simplemind View Post
    My nephew recently got married. They have purchased property and are getting ready to build a house. They asked for money towards a honeymoon in Italy. Without getting into the financial irresponsibility from that side of the family.... we elected to get them a gift card to Home Depot to help with expenses with that new home. Dang dude..... I haven't even been to Italy!
    I know! My 2nd son is planning a proposal in ICELAND next May!! They bought tickets already. If you can pay for a trip to Iceland why am I sending you $100 a month to help with food while your in college? Just go ahead and elope and count that as the honeymoon!
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

That actually sounds very romantic, Float!
    Simplemind, I like the home Depot card--they will like it too, when they start working on that house.

One of the pluses of not being social is that people don't usually ask. However, my niece got married, in Los Angeles, and told us 2 weeks in advance. A dear friend of mine had died the week before, also in L.A. and I couldn't afford to go to the funeral, so I'm going to go to your wedding??? If the niece had bothered to let us know a couple of weeks earlier, we could have found cheap hotel and tickets. As was, no. So we didn't go. We had a furnace to replace instead!

Quote Originally Posted by NewGig View Post
    One of the pluses of not being social is that people don't usually ask. However, my niece got married, in Los Angeles, and told us 2 weeks in advance. A dear friend of mine had died the week before, also in L.A. and I couldn't afford to go to the funeral, so I'm going to go to your wedding??? If the niece had bothered to let us know a couple of weeks earlier, we could have found cheap hotel and tickets. As was, no. So we didn't go. We had a furnace to replace instead!
    Wise choice!

Thread Information