Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tolerating neighbors

My neighbors fire off guns often.
    We have thought often of moving to the country but know from friends/relatives that the same inconsiderate behavior goes on there. Guns especially.

Inconsiderate is relative.

some places it is annoying when you don’t mow. Other places it is annoying when you do.

i will take 365 days of automatic weapon fire over two nice saturdays when I have to spend my afternoon and evening 100 ft from the party on your deck.

in my first house, we were on a hill, and the uphill neighbor had a deck that overlooked our back yard. Three weeks after they moved in, she invited me to a candle party. Dh said I should go and get to know her. So I went. And I was pleasant, and I bought a stupid candle holder thing (but not a nasty scented candle). And two days later she caught me over the fence and thanked me for coming and asked if I had noticed that the deck had a clear view of the toys strewn around my backyard and my clothesline. I laughed and said “yes, and the living room. I need to remember to close the blinds if i’m Going to walk around naked.” That was our last conversation. She left the bag with my candle thing on my front steps when I was not home.

We had a neighbor on a Facebook neighborhood page who was roundly made fun of for her request for quiet mowing--she complained about the loud mowers and blowers etc. None of the other neighbors shared her desire for more peace and quiet--they are all lawn geeks.

But I agreed with her. My only complaint about my former neighbor was the fact that they cut their side of my forsythia bush right off. Also, as I still own that house, I anticipate a real problem emerging when it's time for an ash tree to be cut down, because it straddles our property line.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

We have a range of neighbors--the renters in the mobiles across the road leave garbage out that blows into our yard, and also shoot off firecrackers that scare the dogs. But when a tree fell in our yard, the girl came over to make sure we were okay, which I thought was really, really nice.

The couple in the next acreage over are lovely, and we get together frequently and go out to dinner. You couldn't ask for better neighbors than them.

I like being out of a subdivision as we definitely have more privacy here.

I love my neighbors. None are especially noisy. We only have a 4ft fence on one side but there beautiful vines are plentiful and give privacy but we do talk over the fence. The previous owner of our house built a patio and then put a 6 ft fence in front of their fence so you cannot see their yard if you sit on the patio. The neighbors said they had no clue why they did that. I know exactly why. They didn’t want to look at their junk in their yard while sitting on their patio.

I have to add, I have very pleasant/decent neighbors on my block for the most part. Just got lucky with the noise and smell makers being the closest ones. Perhaps it is not inconsideration so much as a lack of awareness/interest about other ways of doing things. Simple living actually comes into play here. A broom is quieter and cheaper than a leaf blower and allows for some actual physical exertion. One does not need smelly fabric softener in most instances. And on and on.

For the most part our neighbors aren't too bad. Which is good since we share walls with two of them. One has become quite proficient at playing Let It Be on the piano. They recently bought a tuba, though, and are not nearly as proficient at that...

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    We have thought often of moving to the country but know from friends/relatives that the same inconsiderate behavior goes on there. Guns especially.
    Plus in the country you get a lot of dogs and litters of kittens dumped on your road. No fun.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Hearing gunshots or lots of firecrackers would freak me out. I sweep with a broom but DH uses a leaf blower. I do most of the leaves. I don’t smoke weed but I don’t mind the smell if people smoking.

The dynamite reference reminded me of this. If you don’t know it, I recommend it. It’s one of my “I need a laugh” go to’s.

https://www.reddit.com/r/videos/comm...ow_shit_about/

or here

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zzabmVIU6EQ

Thread Information