Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: another Boring Simple day in SE Alaska Bushes

Naukati Bay, Prince of Wales Island, Alaska

another Boring Simple day in SE Alaska Bushes

well another simple boring day in the SE Alaska Bushes. Same old Fish...

687-DC27-B-B02-D-433-A-B5-A0-8643-A4-FE23-BA.jpg

Same old Boring scenery, Same ol boring Bears cruising the beaches...

https://gunstreamer.com/watch/gucchi...2GmwKKWDS.html

Welcome to my simple Boring life....

AlaskanGuy

AG: Very cool. I love salmon. How do you prepare and eat it?

prsonally, I prefer it poached and made into sandwiches, or smoked and used as a stand alone snack, or then canned for long dark winter time. lots of other folks around up here BBQ, or make tuna helper type casseroles..

I do have some secrete recipe's for some showstopper dishes if your interested... one in particular is called Copper River Sailor Salmon.. the Sailor in the name stands for a particular type of spiced rum the dish is made with...

PM me if you want it Rosa..

you might enjoy looking at this short clip i took this morning..l water is low, fish are compressed.. easy pickings...

https://gunstreamer.com/watch/SIYkACdtEli4Gnp

We buy smoked salmon from SeaBear in Anacortes. We like it in salads and as an easy summer dinner with bagels, cream cheese and tomatoes, cuke slices and capers. They also do a nice burger mix that we like.
    I think we tend to be too boring when we bake or poach it, so I will PM you for your recipe, thanks!
    That video is amazing, all that salmon!

It is great to see the salmon looking like a crowd waiting in front of a store on Black Friday. I know that "once upon a time" in the Lower 48 salmon were just as profuse as they appear to be up there, and I understand that dams have contributed greatly to the decline of the salmon population here, in addition to other factors. Cod is almost gone with overfishing in the Northeast, and other fish are polluted with mercury poisoning.

Do you think there's hope for restoring the fish population down here?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Nice. Sockeye? Is the low water normal and will it affect the spawning run?

In response Catherine,

in my hopefull side, I say Yes of course they could be restored.. even with dams. a single hatchery placed at the base of every potiential salmon stream would do wonders. the water is cold at the base of the dam, and believe me, it doesnt take much water for salmon to swim.. they wouldnt be wild fish, but would be fish. salmon are like herring too.. part of a healthy ocean. huge part of the food chain,

on the other side, the realist side, i would say it would never happen. too many users of the resource are in it for just them, and will take as long as there is something to take. Like I said in the gun control thread, its a heart issue.

I see it all the time, even in small places like this. here is a short example... there was a huge historic run of sockeye salmon down near the native village of Kassan. the people of the village (not all the people) exploited that run of fish with gillnets, stringing gillnets from one side of the river completely accross the river to the opposite shore to get "thier share" of the fish. those people obsessed with thier share of the fish, were only concerned with themselves, not the sustainability of the run. it was just a small group of people, but like locusts year after year. the run of over a million fish was reduced to almost nothing, and 10 years later, present day, there are no salmon returning to Kassan rivers. it doesnt matter that the habitat is rich and prime for salmon. That same small group of fisherman moved thier nets to a river here, near the village where I live, and started netting the mouth of the Sarkar river year after year, and our run was close to destruction, but there was nothing we could do as the feds were so slow to respond, the fish were nearly wiped out. no thought was given to the folks that relyed on that river, just a small group of folks that wanted what they wanted. the only thing that saved that run of sockeye salmon, was that the leader of that group of subsistance gill-netters died a few years ago of cancer. and the group lost traction and motivation to do the work. now the run is back and getting stronger as the habitst is prime for salmon. the whole eco system is gaining ground again and being fully restored.

this is not a new story.. it only takes a few with the wrong attitude to take from all. another example is the Pebble Mine in western Alaska. its a proposed gold mine and a battle ground for alaska. it is exceptionally rich deposit of gold located on the head waters of a stream that connects to the exceptionally rich natural resource of Bristol Bay with its millions of salmon, and other wildlife. could be the largest salmon run in the enitre world. the pebble mine has a plan to build an earthen dam to hold back the poisened waste water that could potientially destroy the eco system of bristol bay. Should one small group be allowed to exploit at the risk of so much and so many???

take a look.. https://alaskaconservation.org/2019/...m-pebble-mine/

I am a hunter, a fisherman, a conservative, a naturalist, a gun person, and I vote, bring back the salmon to your streams, and fight like heck to keep them. even if they are not wild fish. destroying resources is the doom of us all.

AG

Wow.. what a rant.. did I say all that?? lol

Rogar,

that hold up will not hurt the run at all..low water comes and goes, such is the way of the rainforest.. the rains started last night unexpectadly, and them fish will be gone from that spot prolly today.. there will be stragglers and so forth, but the bulk will reach the spawning grounds. those are Pink(humpys) and Dog(chum) salmon... they will be gone and the next ones will be Silvers.. they are the boys of fall around here and will run till october, sometimes till november.

Thanks, AG. That's interesting.

Here in Colorado we have advertisements paid for by our wildlife division promoting , "Hug a fisherman". And shows various people hugging a fisherman clad in waders. There has been a decline in young people taking up hunting or fishing and it's basically the licenses and other fees that help protect and sustain things. I do a little of my own hunting and fishing and have never quite understood the critics who generally do not contribute to the causes.

Not to detract from AG's nice photo, account, and clips, but it's my understand that much of the ocean fisheries are being depleted by over fishing or otherwise have declining populations that may reach a point of no return. For those of us who have to buy seafood at the store I really suggest using the Monterey Bay Aquarium Consumer Guide. https://www.seafoodwatch.org/seafood...onsumer-guides Sorry if I derailed the post, but it's a personal issue.

Thread Information