Thread: I didn't avoid or procrastinate or anything

I didn't avoid or procrastinate or anything

ALLLLL day, not that I tend to do too much of that. However I have been so easily distracted by directing staff and talking to parents that I have not completed the BIG TASK. So many time dependent task are related to the BIG TASK that I just worked on it. About 10 hours with very few breaks and I got it done, OMFG. Part of it is that I was gone last week when the big roll-out came for the big task, and people did parts of it for me. I have been working on catching up since I got back on Monday. I am NOT a paperwork person, this was so much discipline to stay in my seat and do it. Tomorrow are all the extremely time sensitive things related to the BIG TASK,

Meanwhile I am almost done with the summer supervisor who has been with us the entire time. She came in the other day and asked why everything was out on tables. Well because our large cabinets are being replaced so we emptied them. Then she wanted to know what was being done. My assistant showed her the progress they had made. I backed her up and said I wanted her to work on some planning (she is also very pregnant so i try to balance her work to be more comfortable) but the supervisor just kept pushing. I ended up having to leave to help my daughter and because I am going very high on hours so I didn't fight it. This morning I came in and realized I was actually angry. I had a plan and a reason and it is my site. It wasn't just redirecting my staff, it was that she made everyone feel like they hadn't been doing a good job. I am sure there was some slacking, but I was deep into that BIG TASK already.

Being angry was better, I stayed focused on task instead of trying to pretend I wasn't angry and then making more mistakes.

Can you possibly reduce your angry state by simply understanding that she felt she was answering questions on a mental checklist which is part of her role in the job? She has to do this completely detached from you individually or your staff.
    In Japan, I read, every time one takes on a responsibility, a checklist must be followed meticulously. Everyone knows that this is the procedure to ensure safety, accuracy, accountability, sustainability etc., and calmly accepts and does it. Seeing her efforts as impersonal and simply a procedural checklist will help you and her to meet partway. She wasn't attacking you or your staff. Having answered the questions on the checklist, she can step away with a report that all was under control with your team.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

It sounds like you are angry with the supervisor for coming to site and changing things, that you feel she is criticizing you?

Lately, when I get angry, I am trying to get in touch with the feeling, about what is going on that I am reacting to, to see what part I am playing in the situation when I am getting angry. I'm trying to see my anger in a broader context of how I view the world and my life in it.

Then, I am trying to view my anger as a prompt to take some kind of action towards resolution, even if it's only internal action to change my reactions.

Do you think this anger is prompting you to any kind of anger in this situation?

I felt that anger (or more recognizing it) was good rather than not feeling. That has been part of my process over the last year, to simply feel my feelings. Related to that i just focused and refocused on the task at hand. I struggle with paperwork and accuracy but I just kept at it, really hard because i wanted a break and i knew there were other tasks as well. Basically it motovated me to do a good job.

I understand she was just doing her job, but it was also done in a harsh tone and changing things and questioning things as i was working on them. At first she came in and questioned that all our supplies were out on tables, but we both are aware they are replacing cabinets so i needed to have staff prepare. We have lots of checklists which i appreciate to support us getting things done,

Sorry, I typed or autocorrected incorrectly--was asking

"Do you think this anger is prompting you to any kind of action in this situation?"

At this point I would be relieved for summer to end and to go back to your other site. I hate micromanagers and people don’t work their best under that type of scrutiny.

Yes Terry, I am. I heard that she is the same everywhere so at least it isn't me.

Tybee, I think that anger was something I simply needed to feel, and my emotions overall feel less stuck. So basically my brain is less fuzzy.

OMG I just realized where a LOT of stress and tiredness is from, we have exactly 5 days to clean up, plan and set up again for fall programming. My last district gave more time (a lot filled with training and team building). This is better for parents and intense on us,

Thread Information