Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buying discounted food - do you?

I do. Some supermarkets here have a section in which they put meat close to expiration date (a day or two, usually). The discount is enough that I can buy cuts we usually would not consider. And it's either cooked that evening or put in the freezer. Never had this meat go bad. If the meat doesn't sell there, most markets here freeze it and ship it off to Second Harvest (that's my volunteer gig); it's rare that any of that meat spoils, either, unless the packaging is broken and air has seeped inside. One exception used to be ground beef sold by a certain large discount store; it was sold in black plastic containers and those frequently would start bloating from the beef starting to go off. That we had to toss regardless of the condition of the actual container. But they changed something in production and it doesn't do that anymore, so that's a positive thing.

A few of our local markets have a bin in which they put the damaged boxes, dented cans, and discontinued products (or, say, Peeps after Easter). If I'm in the store I always cruise by the bin just to see. Sometimes there's a deal; sometimes not. There's rarely something I wouldn't have purchased off the regular shelf, but if I can save on the same item because the box is a little crushed, why not? I don't buy dented cans, though. Just don't want to go there.

The Hy-Vee grocery chain here sells imperfect fruits and vegetables at each of their stores (at least the ones I've been to up here). Small visible defects but much bigger discounts on price. I don't tend to buy these because they mostly seem to have fruit which doesn't fit my low-carb diet and because they sell the produce in bags and we just wouldn't get through that much produce before it spoiled.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I've taken to buying big bags of peppers in various colors, chopping them up and freezing them to use in various dishes, with onions and garlic. An easy way to boost flavor and nutrition.

Thread Information