Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Oh, The Joys of Home Ownership...

Definitely a product of, and a complement to, its environment. It looks like it's been there forever.
    And home ownership is definitely a mixed blessing.

What looks like the "front door" with the carvings is in really, really bad shape. It is inset with what looks like glass panes, but in reality they are plexiglass that has cracked from the extreme weather here. There is no way to take it out easily and replace with glass. Perhaps we can reuse the door inside somehow as an interesting art project??? The doors in this house don't fit in their frames very well (again, the way the house was built was with scrips, scarps and salvage). That is another great loss of heat in the winter. I will have more weatherproofing to do for the fall.

So many projects, so much time lately, but not enough funds!

I am glad that the desert dwellers find their love in dry, sandy, desert. I do not consider it a “magical place” but instead consider it a god forsaken landscape rather like the moon.

But that doesnt mean you all are wrong! That’s what’s great about these United States, the topography so different. If we weren’t born in the right place we could move to the right place. While I lived in the southwest I heard many a tale, like Suzie Q’s, of people who felt drawn to the desert and they were from the Midwest. They moved there and were happy.

I could live in New England in a New York minute, but the short growing season is a bummer. I mean, snow on mother’s Day. Ummm, no.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 5-10-20 at 3:25pm.

I lived in upstate New York and Wisconsin and both are pretty. Wichita Kansas and Wichita Falls Texas were both ugly. The high desert where we live now is pretty and Tahoe of course is gorgeous.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I lived in upstate New York and Wisconsin and both are pretty. Wichita Kansas and Wichita Falls Texas were both ugly. The high desert where we live now is pretty and Tahoe of course is gorgeous.
    This?
    not my jam.

https://stockagency.panthermedia.net...cenery-nevada/

You picked the bare mountains. The ones with trees, green, etc much prettier.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    You picked the bare mountains. The ones with trees, green, etc much prettier.
    Where is it green year round? Sincere question. I haven’t been to Nevada. Part of the desert gets green for a couple weeks in the spring but that’s it.

When I first saw Southern California, I thought "Golden State?" Is that a polite way of saying "brown"? People tell me it used to be lush with orange groves and other vegetation, but that's hard to picture now.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    When I first saw Southern California, I thought "Golden State?" Is that a polite way of saying "brown"? People tell me it used to be lush with orange groves and other vegetation, but that's hard to picture now.
    I know, brown land.

If I was super rich I might have a home in San Francisco but I would have to close my eyes when I got out of the city until I got to where I was going because ugly

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I know, brown land.

If I was super rich I might have a home in San Francisco but I would have to close my eyes when I got out of the city until I got to where I was going because ugly
    I'm pretty comfortable with the Bay Area and points north. I was put up in a motel in Walnut Creek for a couple of weeks, and I liked that area.

Thread Information