Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Oh, The Joys of Home Ownership...

IL, that’s funny!

Home inspectors are up there with realtors in my book.

Didn't you have an inspection? This leaky roof should have been noted and repaired by the owner. If you're stuck with this issue, that sucks!

Yes, we had an inspection done by a licensed inspector that K. knows (and we paid for). There was also an inspection/appraisal for bank purposes that the seller paid for. We were told the roof was new in the last year; the problem being that someone who didn't know what the hell they were doing did the roof (this is what the roofing contractor just told us). This contractor is coming back in the next week or two to do a more thorough assessment as to what needs to be done to fix the problems.

The story of this hand-built Madrid house is the stuff of legends apparently - as soon as I can gather the timeline and more details I will let you all know, but it involves previous fires (two in total, I think) and an old roof blowing up and then setting back down due to a propane leakage problem during a winter of heavy snow (I can see ya'll shaking your heads wondering what the hell I got myself into, LOL)! It's hard to explain without photos, but the house is actually two houses that were built next to each other and then a middle room (our future studio) was built to connect the two at some point. The worse roof leak is where the two were connected on one of the sides. The house is very solid otherwise - heavy beams, and a stone foundation.

Meanwhile, we are currently working on getting more information from our realtor as we proceed forward. We really want to find out who built this so-called new roof and if there is some kind of warranty.
    Last edited by SiouzQ.; 8-13-19 at 9:32am.

the rubber seals around the screws breakdown and need to be replaced in metal roofs...………..at least that is what I was told when we were considering one.

There is a lot of work to do when you move into a new abode but in time it will be exactly to your liking. The floor especially will give a good dose of job satisfaction because after a good sand and resurface it will look great.
    What electric sander are you using? Do you recommend it? Or should I look at electric sander reviews online?

Well, we just got an estimate to actually replace the roof...$13,000 from the cousin of a guy K. works with who works for a roofing company but also does jobs on the side. The gist of the roof problem is that when the house was originally built, there wasn't enough slope created at the highest part. It was actually two houses which were joined together in the middle (which is now our "studio" room and hallway that connects the two. It leaks horribly during the monsoon rains and when we have a snowstorm and the snow melts). At least the roof of the lowest half of the house never gives us problems. Basically the roofer needs to raise the level of the roof at the high end of the house (the living room area) in order to create an 8% smooth slope all the way down...

We had already planned to take our stimulus money and throw that into the roof pot, but now we are going to have to finance the rest. I am debating on whether to call my parents and inquire about the possibility of getting an advance on my inheritance (gawd, I don't like posing it that way as it is awfully presumptuous). Or perhaps better yet just inquire if they would like to donate to our roofing project. I really, really hate taking on loans. And it might be hard to get money right now from a bank. At any case I need to start the information process. I am also waiting on hearing back from another roofing company who does the spray foam to see if that is a viable option for our problem.

Is that for a metal roof or a shingle roof?

We may be in market for a new roof.

Maybe ask your parents for a loan.

We did a roof once with a loan from a 401k.

I know, Dave Ramsey says this is a horrible idea, but it seemed to work okay for us.

Thread Information