Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vicarious living through TV shows

Vicarious living through TV shows

When IL referenced "Have Gun Will Travel" in another thread it reminded me of how popular Westerns were a few decades ago. As for me, I was more attracted to Little House on the Prairie than TV Westerns. I LOVED that show--not so much the macho Western story lines.

Now we have reality shows--everything from Survivor to The Bachelor to Hell's Kitchen to Ink Master to Naked and Afraid.

I wonder what they speak to in us? Which TV show represents the world you would love to live in if you could? What do you see in any particular reality show or TV show in general that speaks to what you aspire to?

As I mentioned, for me it's probably Little House on the Prairie. Ironically, Shark Tank is another reality show I sometimes want to live out--it's fun and fascinating to see what people come up with in terms of innovation.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I hate reality shows in general except for 90 day fiancé.

You all know which world I want to inhabit because I’ve talked about it before in the context of “who do you admire most? “

I want to live in the tv world of Absolutely Fabulous because I want to be Patsy Stone. I want legs up to my neck. I want a stick thin figure that looks like $1 million in anything I wear. I want to run around London all day being bitchy, looking at beautiful things, and having everyone do my bidding. I want to drink and smoke like a chimney.

Reality TV? The Best Thing I Ever Ate plus ID true crime/Dateline--police procedurals, missing persons, etc. And Ancient Aliens. I'll be the gourmand abductee...

When I visited Arizona last March, it was a little like a dream come true to see the old western movie sets which are still in use today and the wide open spaces. I enjoyed the cattle drive sculptures in Dallas and remembered the songs of settling the cattle down at night by singing to them or playing a harmonica. Guess that means that the western space and freedom from the trappings of urban life was wonderful to me dreaming of my own farm with a large garden and self-sufficiency as the goal.

That was then, this is now and I am so grateful for all the amenities that are readily accessible for me right now.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

I will sometimes watch YouTube channels that have folks doing things I would like to do but will probably not do.

Slim Potatohead is a favorite of mine. Here he explores Padre Island:

Here is another I live vicariously through.

It is called Bicycle Touring Pro. Here is a video of a cancer survivor and a Vietnam Vet riding through Eastern Europe.

Firefly

To The Manor Born.

Lovejoy (I always wanted to be Lady Jane Felsham)

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Firefly
    ahh the joy and pain of the Firefly universe, My first thought was actually Agents of Shield but I am including Firefly equally. I kinda like Buffy, she kicks some butt however her love life stinks.

Thread Information