Thread: Did I mention I am Single??

Naukati Bay, Prince of Wales Island, Alaska

Did I mention I am Single??

Hello again from the Rain Forest.

Did I mention I am single? you know, there just are no single women in my neck of the woods. and any that are single are single for a reason.. I mean, I own an almost normal home with Electricity, indoor plumbing, running water and shower, internet, and one of them new fangled Microwave ovens... there is no cell service here and no tv but I do watch movies in the winter online. what the heck is a guy to do? i am NOT doing them dating sites, those are not purty. what is a fairly conservative, hunter gather'er God fearing type to do? sheesh.. mid 50's and been alone now for quite a while. kids are gone except Matthew, my autistic Pretty hi functioning autistic kid. He has his own life now in his early 20's and is rarely around I do manage his finances and such... we have breakfast and then he is gone. what is a guy to do? i still got a lot of life left and am very active. my fishing buddy is in his 70's now and is slowing down. no wonder folks take drugs and drink them selves to death.. not me. Spring, summer, and fall are super busy, and winter is recovery and hibernation. i dont much like doing stuff alone all the time and do Love the opposite sex!!!! I do know how to treat a lady.
    AlaskanGuy

AG, I'd say you should give the "dating sites" a try. I know there's a longish thread elsewhere on this forum about the pitfalls of using them. But you're in a sparsely-populated area. Finding a committed partner requires meeting people first and the more people you meet somehow, the better your chances. So your wish to be part of a long-term relationship eventually may eclipse your unwillingness to use on-line sites. There are other ways to meet, of course, but the more the merrier, right?

Besides, not all dating sites are the same. There's the more meat-market-like Tinder (and, I'm told) Grindr all the way to more traditional sites like Match.com and eHarmony and SilverSingles (though I will note that everyone I know who tried eHarmony dropped them for lack of "results"). There even are dating sites just for farmers and for others with handicaps or other affiliations.

IMHO you really should look again before rejecting them all out of hand. DW and I met on what is now Match.com almost a dozen years ago and have been married for almost 10 years now. And we know other on-line pairings. Sure, that's anecdotal, and others here can tell their stories (some of which don't have such a happy ending). But "not purty" is a lot of what you make of them.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

AG, a friend in her 50's, now married for 2 years, found her partner on the dating sites. She took the approach that she was meeting potential friends and nothing more. Some people were a joy or fun, some not so much as they were grieving for a variety of reasons.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

All my friends met their second spouses on dating sites.

I live in a remote rural area, on an island for goodness sake, am about your age, and have been having some productive results with some of the online sites.

Steve....you always have such good things to say!
    MY DD did some online dating. It sounded horrible to me, but she's in a profession where she doesn't meet many men. She had some that didn't work out, but she's been with a great guy now for 3 years that she met online and they plan on marrying. So I've had to adjust my opinion of online dating.

Yppej
    Are you open to living somewhere other than Alaska? There are many other rural areas with a higher female to male ratio.

Naukati Bay, Prince of Wales Island, Alaska
    i cant imagine living anywhere else but alaska.. Once you go Alaskan, there is no turning back. the quiet alone is worth the hardship

Why not just try the online stuff as an experiment? Just be skeptical, don't send any money, etc. I think the "farmers only" website would be great for you, since you want a woman who would enjoy the rural, outdoors-y life. Sounds like you'd be a "catch" for the right woman

Thread Information