Thread: Old cat whiny stuff

Old cat whiny stuff

I think i figured something out about my old cat and the whiny stuff. He fusses and brings me to his food bowl all the time, i keep showing him he has food or sometimes adding fresh wet food. Now I think he simply wants someone to be with him or watch him eat! So I am trying that now. The regular brushing is also helping because he refuses to sit on my lap and gets whiny to not be petted.

Our cat has become very whiny in the morning when it's apparent it's not lack of food or water. I finally figured out she just wants snuggle time. If I read the paper on the couch instead of at the table, she comes and sidles up next to me while I read and pet her.

After 5-10 min. she goes over to her chair to sleep.No more whining.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Quote Originally Posted by KayLR View Post
    Our cat has become very whiny in the morning when it's apparent it's not lack of food or water. I finally figured out she just wants snuggle time. If I read the paper on the couch instead of at the table, she comes and sidles up next to me while I read and pet her.

After 5-10 min. she goes over to her chair to sleep.No more whining.
    I have two 15 year old cats, heading to 16 soon. One of them does this whiny thing and I go around checking everything, "you have dry food in your bowl. You have wet foot" etc. Then finally, if I just sit down on the couch, he gets beside me and all is well. As as you said, KayLR, he soon moves on to further down the couch, or to another spot and the whining ends.
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

My cat is only 8 yrs old but has to be accompanied to her food bowls/water every morning. Just a couple of pets and baby talk and she begins eating. Weird...

We have an auto feeder that opens in the middle of the night, presumably to keep our two from waking us up early in the morning. Sometimes though, one of them needs one of us to go with him. I always joke that he needs a security detail to go downstairs in the middle of the night but maybe he just wants a friend.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    My cat is only 8 yrs old but has to be accompanied to her food bowls/water every morning. Just a couple of pets and baby talk and she begins eating. Weird...
    I have 2 cats, 10yo. The male does this, his sister does not. She likes to be on my lap in early morning and evenings. He wants to be petted when I've followed him to the food bowl, when he jumps on the barstool, or when he flops down on the floor in front of us. Otherwise, he's a no-touch cat.

They definitely have personalities and preferences

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    I have 2 cats, 10yo. The male does this, his sister does not. She likes to be on my lap in early morning and evenings. He wants to be petted when I've followed him to the food bowl, when he jumps on the barstool, or when he flops down on the floor in front of us. Otherwise, he's a no-touch cat.

They definitely have personalities and preferences
    Ha, yeah. Another "ritual" every day--when the hubs is putting on his shoes and lacing them up, she winds around his ankles. She doesn't give him that much attention the rest of the day, but when he's getting ready to go, it's round and round.

I guess this is one of those "simple" things we enjoy!
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

I love cats. Can’t have one because of my allergies.

Thread Information