Thread: Tariffs/Boycotts

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar

Tariffs/Boycotts

So all these tariffs are not making money flow into the treasury of the US. A company that has to pay more taxes and fees is going to pass them on to consumers. That is how businesses survive

I have also seen numerous calls for boycotts. Of advertisers n Sean Hannity, the Shell company who required their workers to attend a trump speech which actually was a rally funded by taxpayers, or Rachael Maddow.
    So i got to thinking, there is a huge fact that people are missing. When you boycott a company the workers sufferi. You don’t think the big honchos are going to take a pay cut do you? They will be the last to suffer. Punitive tariffs might or might not have the desired consequence.

It seems to me we are all being so swept up in the shock and awe of what is being said and done, we are being swept up in a giant wave of frenzied reactions.

I spent the last four months with almost no internet and TV. It was perhaps the most mind clearing and peaceful stretch I have had in a long time. Being exposed again to the chaos (even though I use little internet and see little TV, it makes me wonder why Americans are participating in this foolishness.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    So all these tariffs are not making money flow into the treasury of the US. A company that has to pay more taxes and fees is going to pass them on to consumers. That is how businesses survive
    Actually, in the first seven months of 2019, the US Treasury received $59 billion from tariffs... an increase of 75% compared to the same period in 2018.

The bigger fiscal picture: despite increased tariff revenue, the federal government is running a whopper of a deficit, year-to-date July 31 $867 billion.

I agree that if a company has "pricing power" it can (and will) raise prices to consumers without significant reduction in the quantity of goods sold. Some well-known examples of companies with pricing power include:
    Apple and Microsoft, each with their own loyal buyers.
    Amgen, etc., selling prescription drugs protected by patent.
    Phillip Morris International and Altira Group, addictive products with most popular brands.
    Starbucks, habit-forming product in best locations.
    Last edited by dado potato; 8-18-19 at 11:38pm.

Quote Originally Posted by dado potato View Post
    Actually, in the first seven months of 2019, the US Treasury received $59 billion from tariffs... an increase of 75% compared to the same period in 2018.
    I've come to think another name for the increase in the prices of products to the consumer would be a federal sales tax.

Thread Information