Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Financial Anxiety Setting In Now

My SO's father may have come from Mexico without papers to avoid the draft; nobody in the family knew, and it didn't stop him from being a hard-working, contributing member of society. My grandmother was born in Berlin. I have no idea if she was "legal."

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    The Netherlands. I asked Dad why we came. He said: "We couldn't have been any poorer". I had no idea we were poor until I was an adult. There was always a meal on the table x3/d. There were always school clothes and shoes with no holes in them. There was always a new dress and shoes for Easter (that were then school clothes the next year). I had a bicycle. The car was never broken down-that I knew of anyway.

When I moved out at 19, I realized my Mom could make a dollar stretch a mile and I couldn't. Hubby and I went through our "buy everything to keep up" phase but it lasted only 7years and I flipped out. We hunkered down and I channeled the Mom example by thinking about the way I was raised and what we didn't have, knowing it didn't matter.
    Cool story!

Change is stressful, even when it is positive change. Sounds like your new home is going to be a really great place for you. Investing in things that will make it more comfortable and livable for the long-term is wise, even though I know it is hard to see that money flowing out rather than in.
    "Seek out habits that help you overcome fear or inertia. Destroy those that do the opposite." Seth Godin

Thread Information