Thread: Wow, that was the best conversation

Wow, that was the best conversation

specifically about making mistakes. I have been stressing out for several days because at work I lost some receipts for purchases. I had turned in a photocopy with the correct report on time but the original receipts are missing, who knows where. I have been through every file and pile at work, even some at home, and I don't have a lot of piles. I leave my desk clean before I go home each night. Added to that the way I was treated at my last job was stressing me.

Well they couldn't have been nicer. We filled out some paperwork for the receipts and then the financial person looked over my current receipts. I told them I had never lost a receipt before or lost a point in the purchasing card system at my last job, so I was taking this very seriously. They also had an idea for not losing track. My old workplace's procedure was to check the transaction when it posted the next day, scan and upload the receipt and write the description of what was purchased. In this district we turn in a copy with a report and then turn in the original monthly. That means it is hanging out in my files for a month, and at risk of being lost.

In any case I am sure I can go forward to my normal work, which is having all receipts and reports done on time.

Sounds like they handled the issue the way it always should have been handled at your old site. Stuff happens and there is no point in beating people up.

Oh yes, I recall being so shocked at some of the responses to things like an email a day late. Not that I shouldn't have heard anything about it, but that the response was extreme. I had one staff who lost the chance to work the entire summer because she had a cell phone out during an innapropriate time.

You appear to now be working for a group that values employees and the work. They seem to understand how to handle employees to get the best work, to get the best atmosphere, and keep things in perspective. After all, there are far more important things to be on top of like safety for the kids entrusted to you. Maybe they just have their priorities right and have trained and expect people to work together in some harmony.

Amazing isn't it how different employers can be in the same field. So glad you got this much better job.

This is a much better work environment.

Thread Information