Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: What don't you need?

LOVE that Queen’s Calico pattern!

A furnace, a microwave...

I'm crazy about these bowls in various sizes:
    Bowls 2.jpgbowls 1.jpg

Not sure why this is posted in success stories, since it seems posted as a question.
    What I don't need are things that don't help provide food, shelter, clothing, or oxygen. Everything else, is just a matter of degree's.

Now what I would like, is a week off. Between the last few years of bosses medical (one then the other), I had hoped a year would be enough time to get someone hired and trained for that. Instead, I got a day off this year.
    If a family medical situation happens (50/50 at this point), they will have to deal with me off for six weeks.

Okay, I will go out on a limb and say you need a vacation, ToomuchStuff.

Jane, I don't need the bowls, but I sure like them.

Funny how a thread on what you don't need has turned into a thread on collectibles

I think a year of precarity and a year of unemployment neither of which I could exactly spend freely in, has cured me of need for most things beyond yea those needed to get by (hey might include work clothes etc.). Permanently. Is it 100% so? Nah maybe 95% so Ok environmental collapse doesn't help, but economic strain is the larger factor.

It's not that it's made me obsessed with saving either really though. I mean yes save for a rainy day, but at a certain point you have your rainy day fund, and if you have 10 years of rainy days, might just be screwed After being unemployed nearly a year, I started to wonder if I might be in for 10 years of rainy days ... Better to try to avoid that by other means (and as far as I can tell all of them are imperfect as well, we aren't in perfect control here).

Mostly: it's best to focus on non-material things in life - linked to greater contentment, do the best one can with one's career, and well we aren't in total control.
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

I don't need the cabin in the mountains......and it's wonderful, paid for and we'll keep it. As our financial advisor says: it's our catastrophic healthcare plan.

We don't need 2 vehicles now that i'm retired. Both are paid for and insurance is cheap so we're keeping them. I drove 46 miles this week.

I don't need sewing machines or my big quilting machine. I love and use them all regularly but quilting is a luxury for sure.

I don't need enough dinnerware to serve 24 but it's great to have when we host a big meal. I don't like to use disposables.

I don't need Vodka. I enjoy a cocktail every evening and I can afford it.

I don't need the gear for downhill skiing. It's a great hobby we enjoy, it's close to home and it's cheap entertainment and exercise (we rarely spend $ in the lodge). Gear lasts 10-15 years.

There is more that is not required to sustain life......I know I am Blessed. I've worked hard for it, take care of it, and enjoy using it.

I don't need to dive, but friends have said it's made such a difference in my life. Lost weight (more to go), gotten stronger, circle of friends has really expanded. I've gotten to have some awesome adventures. I'm moving into technical diving next year - longer, deeper - which means a bit more gear to buy. Wing (air bladder) and a better light. I've been doing my research and I'm sourcing these items new at a significant cost savings or very lightly used from a friend.

I don't need colored hair, frequent mani/pedi (although I will occasionally go for a pedi when my heels are really a mess at the end of the summer), cable TV (have a digital antenna, all I watch is PBS and the local news), tons of clothes (I buy nearly everything from Talbots and actually need to restock as I'm down to just one pair of jeans) and shoes (i wear my Teva sandals and Merrill lace up shoes until they are trashed). My indulgences are an iPhone 8 Plus with the biggest memory possible and a Verizon unlimited plan, my 2018 Ford Escape (base model for $18K) that I bought in January, and my diving. I'm frugal all winter to have fun all summer.

See, that's the thing. We can get by without a lot of things, and then there are things that really add to the quality of life. It's finding the right balance--that sense of lagom.

It might be having things you find beautiful around you, or diving, or riding horses, or getting away to a vacation cabin, or living on water, or any number of things. No, you don't need them, but life may be much richer with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    See, that's the thing. We can get by without a lot of things, and then there are things that really add to the quality of life. It's finding the right balance--that sense of lagom.

It might be having things you find beautiful around you, or diving, or riding horses, or getting away to a vacation cabin, or living on water, or any number of things. No, you don't need them, but life may be much richer with them.
    Exactly

A few things like hobbies might add something, I expect with most things (not talking basic needs of course) if forced to live without them by economic necessity one would find they don't really add much, but some hobbies might add something.
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

Thread Information