Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What don't you need?

Only need or want one set of dishes.

Climate change has made a difference. I live in WI and would not/cannot live without AC. The humidity and heat have been unbearable the past few years.

I think about that often and realize I don't NEED many of the things I buy. Most of us don't. Things like better quality food, wine, new plants for the garden, thrift store finds...I don't have AC or need it, but here lately I sure would like one. It isn't usually this hot here.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    Good point about the stove and safety. I think I would be tempted to keep it for the amusement value, but agree that would be unwise.
    I do not have a white sweater, so I guess I don't need one of those! Don't have or need a lot of things but microwave and cable TV seem to be things many consider to be necessities.
    IL: I love your story about the stove. I recall replacing a car many years ago and saying to my manager that it was great to have car windows that work. She said, oh yes, the automatic windows were a great invention. I said we didn't have automatic windows; they just weren't broken and we could roll them up and down with the crank handles, unlike the previous car.
    Fun fact: Our 2014 Ford Focus has auto windows in front and crank windows in the back. How weird is that?
    The Most luxurious car I ever had was the 1996 Ford Taurus we bought as a used car from our friend. It had power windows, power seat movement, Power antenna that went down when the car was turned off. This is important because in my neighborhood my ghetto neighbors like to walk down the street at night and break off antennas. This car also had rich
    velveteen fabric seats. Luxe! I do not understand why anyone needs more luxury than this.

For me, all the improvements since then are just diminishing returns of technology.

We don't need heat in Phoenix. But it’s a little chilly when our lows get into 40s in the winter so we heat a little at night.

Frugal, when I was home last summer I did noticed it seemed a lot hotter but luckily my friends all had air.

Heat and AC here. -29 we've seen in winter and 112 in summer (not this year though!)

Frugal-one, I hear you on the dishes. I don't need them but I figure they are like clothes, I like variety, so would not want to eat off same dishes every meal.

At least that is my rationale, that and fact I find them so beautiful and always have. The first purchase I remember making with my first real paycheck job was a Pfalzgraff teapot.

So I don't need my collection of mid-century English china, but it's really hard to get rid of any. I did winnow it down to a piece or two of each, instead of sets!

I have my everyday dishes and the polish pottery I bought a year ago. I always wanted a set but way to expensive. Then Tuesday Morning had them for 10/plate so I bought them. Then I bought salad bowls that were a solid color with a nice pattern and the color matched one of the colors in the plates. I sold my 20 piece set to a young guy that wanted to give them to his mom for Xmas. All he had was 25 and he was so happy that I took that amount. If I ever downsized dishes more I would get rid of the everyday ones.

Yppej
    I guess i am a pig because I pile so much food on my plate I don't see it or get bored with it.

One set of dishes of plain white Corelle after downsizing and giving my Doulton to DD2. Still have the cornflower crystal though. I like a variety of placemats for different occasions and the white works well with everything.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Thread Information