Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Donate to protect America from Trump ... Sierra Club

Donate to protect America from Trump ... Sierra Club

Was looking something up and this was the banner on top of the screen. Wow!
    Last edited by frugal-one; 8-25-19 at 8:02pm.

I wonder why they didn't detail any of the ways people believe Trump is endangering Earth's precious natural resources. Looks like donation click-bait to me.

Not to derail the subject, did you find the cover story's lament about how unfair it was for electric vehicle owners to be assessed fees en lieu of gas taxes to be as interesting as I did? My state recently gave us a dramatic increase in gasoline taxes for road and bridge maintenance and repairs, I wonder why the Sierra Club thinks owners of EV's should be excused?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Don't EVs use the road too? And roads require maintenance, which is, in this state, from the fuel tax.

Not sure why they should get a free ride.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Don't EVs use the road too? And roads require maintenance, which is, in this state, from the fuel tax.

Not sure why they should get a free ride.

from the article

”...drivers of gas-fueled cars are not charged a fee on the public costs of the pollution they create, including to our climate and our public health. It is rather disingenuous to claim seeking “fairness” for the costs of road usage but then not to seek fairness for the costs of unhealthy air that harms everyone...”

So there!

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    from the article

”...[COLOR=#191919][FONT="]drivers of gas-fueled cars are not charged a fee on the public costs of the pollution they create, including to our climate and our public health. It is rather disingenuous to claim seeking “fairness” for the costs of road usage but then not to seek fairness for the costs of unhealthy air that harms everyone...”
    I wonder what the full life-cycle analysis of an all-electric vehicle looks like these days? What with the mining and refining needed for the batteries, and the battery production itself, and all that.

Asking for a friend...

I was looking up about the fee because someone was lamenting who actually proposed the fee.

The point of this post was the donation aspect.

Yppej
    If the electricity that recharges the car is made from fossil fuels as it is on my area how is it any better than a gas powered car? I've never gotten the whole concept of why these cars are supposedly good for the environment.

In theory tge centralized burning of fossil fuels at a power plant is more efficient than burning them in the car. I’ll leave it to someone else to google whether thus is actually the case or not.

But there are also people like my friend who sized the solar panels on his house a few years ago to accommodate not just household use but also charging the nissan leaf he had just bought.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    If the electricity that recharges the car is made from fossil fuels as it is on my area how is it any better than a gas powered car? I've never gotten the whole concept of why these cars are supposedly good for the environment.
    Yours is an inconvenient question.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    The point of this post was the donation aspect.
    But that's not interesting. The internet is full of "Orange Man Bad! Send Money!!" appeals. Maybe if one of them could tell us what we're actually being protected from.

The story about EV owners is interesting. Who doesn't enjoy exhibitions of "I'm so special all you other yokels should pay for my services". That's good stuff there!!!
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Thread Information