Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old dish towels

Old dish towels

I'm on a decluttering and organizing venture here at the house. I've found I have a large stack of flour sack type and terry dish towels. I know I held onto them thinking I'd use them for rags, but I don't. And more towels will likely join them. Plus when we cleaned out my mom's house I took some of hers she'd stitched.

Can you think of any other reuse of them? Can they be used successfully as a mulch or some such thing? What do you do with old towels?
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

I donate my old towels to the local animal shelter- they go through a lot of these in lining cages and general cleanup.

Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    I donate my old towels to the local animal shelter- they go through a lot of these in lining cages and general cleanup.
    These are mostly flour sack towels. Thanks though. Just wondering if anyone's ever used them as like a weed barrier.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

I have not ever used them for gardening purposes, but I don't see why you couldn't. I give them to DH for cleaning the cars or I put them in the fabric recycling donation box.

I have used them as a weed barrier when starting new beds, along with sheets. They work very well.

Thanks, Tybee.

Rosarugosa...a fabric donation box? What kind of place has one of those?

Quote Originally Posted by KayLR View Post
    These are mostly flour sack towels. Thanks though. Just wondering if anyone's ever used them as like a weed barrier.
    I have! I used old towels and dishcloths like you described under my pond liner and out in the garden. Worked fine!
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by KayLR View Post
    Thanks, Tybee.

Rosarugosa...a fabric donation box? What kind of place has one of those?
    Kay: We have one at a shopping plaza nearby and it's owned by a for profit company. I'll check out the name of the company the next time I stop by. There is also one at our town recycling yard where we can bring electronics and other hard to recycle items.

I never thought of using them as a weed barrier, but I would think they'd work well. Thank you Float On!

I've used them as an impromptu jelly bag or gravy filter and then rinse and pitch them with no problems. Also great for glass cleaning and silver polishing (if you have any).

Thread Information