Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No new clothing one year challenge

No new clothing one year challenge

Many years ago I successfully did a one year, no new clothing challenge with the help and encouragement of people on this forum.

I desperately need to do one again.

Like dieting, I think it gets harder every time you start again.

I have a friend who has not purchased one new clothing item for 5 years! His hobby is travel and hiking. He has the money to travel because he does not waste it like I have been doing.

Please help me, friends. I have enough clothing to last five years or longer. I really need to do a one year fast.

Starting now!

Goooooooo Molly

Good luck Molly! Are you making any exceptions like running shoes or underwear? Is it OK for you to buy clothes that aren't new, or is the goal to buy no clothing whatsoever?

Good questions, Rosa. Molly, it's a great goal!

The goal is no new clothing, period. I do have a lot of second hand clothing purchased from eBay and Poshmark. I found myself getting complacent because I was able to justify the purchases since they were second hand. However, this goal is to break the shopping habit and learn to be content with what I have. Surely I should be able to do that for one year. I have plenty.

I have a few pairs of running shoes stockpiled. I'm not much of a shoe person since I have problem feet. One of my favorite models (Altra Lone Peak 3.0) has been discontinued, so I purchased a few pairs last spring on clearance. That should easily get me through the year. Got enough underwear as well.

I might make an exception if I can sell something on eBay for the same cost as something new or used (considering it an even exchange), but I really am trying to avoid that.

Thanks for the support!

Keep us updated. You can do it!
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

Fall catalog season is coming. It's going to take all the willpower I can muster to toss those catalogs into recycling. Or better yet, get off the mailing lists.

I'm already unsubscribing from email ads.

I think the easiest way is to not go into stores and don’t browse on the internet. Good luck!

Hi Terry - I'm far more guilty of internet shopping. It's just so "right there". I've got a plan though. I just discovered a treasure trove of Dave Ramsey webinars on budgeting. I'm not learning anything new but it's reinforcing what I already know (sometimes you have to be reminded of what you already know!)

So when I get the urge to web surf, I'll either check out a webinar, or go to the websites of the national parks that I have yet to visit and start planning my trips.

Actually, that was my catalyst. So many parks, not enough money. It's easier for me to stick to the no shopping goal with the parks in mind. I've got a picture of Badlands National Park taped next to my monitor as a reminder.

I would much rather spend money on trips than clothes. We have been to some of the national parks and they are beautiful.

Thread Information