Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump's Tax Returns......

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Why bring Trump into every discussion as a sort of shibboleth?
    I think for two reasons:
    1. Accusing someone of being a Trump lover is the most severe accusation they can think of, proving that imagination or innovation are not necessary components of liberal arts graduate degrees.
    2. They think it separates the woke from the deplorables in a virtue signaling kinda way.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

If we’re going to go down the virtue signaling path perhaps we should discuss the most traditional style of virtue signaling known to Americans, waving or otherwise displaying the flag.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    If we’re going to go down the virtue signaling path perhaps we should discuss the most traditional style of virtue signaling known to Americans, waving or otherwise displaying the flag.
    I think that's more cultural for many of us. You've probably never taken a solemn oath while facing a flag or engaged in Reveille and Retreat ceremonies or received a folded flag from the Office Of The President upon the death of a service member or veteran or been involved in flag protocol logistics wherever they are officially displayed. In that case I can see how you might think treating it respectfully is nothing more than misplaced virtue theatrics.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

You’re correct. I didnt receive the flag at the death of a service menber because i knew that my father’s sister would be very appreciative to be the recipient of it. While i have respect for the flag, and acknowledge that my dad thinks that being drafted for the korean war ended up being one of the best things that ever happened to him I also think there are a lot of examples readily available where displays of the flag are not out of any particularly honorable or mindful intention and is the visual equivalent of people shouting ‘USA! USA! USA!’ At international sporting events. If that isn’t virtue signaling i don’t know what is.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Umm “the flag.”

I see a whole hellova lotta displays of the rainbow flag, not only around here. We talked about that with my friend in her tiny town pop. 400 in New Hampshire where they lined the two lane hghway.

And what of all the confederate battle flags. If we’re going to label everything virtue signaling that would certainly qualify as well.

Or catholics who walk around on ash wednesday with a dirty forehead. The list is potentially endless.

At the end of the day almost everyone considers various things/organizations/whatever to be worth supporting and may display support of same. If one happens to also support it one doesn’t consider it virtue signaling. And if not then one will view it as proof of some flaw in that person. Calling that ‘flaw’ virtue signaling is just adding a fancy-pants name to that reaction.

There are all kinds of flags; personally, I like the Cascadia fir and the Canadian maple leaf.

Scoundrels have traditionally wrapped themselves in a national flag, or in the case of our Dear Leader, wrapped himself around it.

I'm not sure how the stars and stripes conflate with a secular gay pride banner; I'd opine they are two different--though not opposing--symbols. I've seen them flown together.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I'm not sure how the stars and stripes conflate with a secular gay pride banner; I'd opine they are two different--though not opposing--symbols. I've seen them flown together.
    We've settled the argument of whether or not it's a hate crime to burn the American flag, it's actually a civil right which must be celebrated. I wouldn't make any assumptions on the rainbow variety.

when a gay person displays the gay pride flag it hasnt been about some sort of ‘virtue signaling’ it’s been a repudiation/rejection of the once widely held view that gay people were somehow deficient. Perhaps one could argue that a straight person displaying it was/is ‘virtue signaling’ but for gay people that’s simply not the case. Someone burning it is a pretty clear indication of their hate of gay people. The difference between burning a gay pride flag versus burning an american flag (in america at least) is that the american flag represents a broad majority of the population but the gay pride flag doesn’t.

I would say that--considering that many, many straight persons have gay friends and relatives--flying the rainbow flag may simply be a declaration of solidarity.

Certainly people have the right to burn any and all flags as an expression of protest.

Thread Information