Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Trump's Tax Returns......

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Thinking more about this virtue signaling thing I’m still stuck on a certain point. Once i have established that i don’t like someone’s opinion on a topic and want to call them a virtue signaler do i also need to establish that they don’t believe what they are saying or does that not matter? For instance, if i don’t like jimmy carter Can i call him a virtue signaler because he has spent decades volunteering to build houses for poor people (which they hypothetical I in this example doesn’t like) or do i have to consider that he might actually care about housing poor people and not actually be attempting to signal his virtue when he does this?
    Houses, houses, houses. I work for Habitat too, although without the cameras and microphones. But I think we can agree I’m a still a deplorable excuse for a human being.

My beef with Carter is his decades of lecturing others where they went wrong as if he was some kind of font of wisdom and moral authority. There’s a reason for the tradition of ex- presidents not quarterbacking from the sidelines.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Houses, houses, houses. I work for Habitat too, although without the cameras and microphones. But I think we can agree I’m a still a deplorable excuse for a human being.

My beef with Carter is his decades of lecturing others where they went wrong as if he was some kind of font of wisdom and moral authority. There’s a reason for the tradition of ex- presidents not quarterbacking from the sidelines.
    You just know that President Donald Trump, when he reaches “former President” status, will not honor that tradition.

L, yes you volunteer without a microphone or camera because let’s face it neither you or I are worthy of the attention just for volunteering. Carter was President and has spent decades helping others. He is worthy of the attention. He could have just partied, golfed and lived the high life like most of the ex-presidents. Instead his entire life has been to lead by example.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    You just know that President Donald Trump, when he reaches “former President” status, will not honor that tradition.
    Unless he moves to a country that we don’t have an extradition treaty with.

Since i was only 13 when carter left office i had not yet learned the joys of vigorously following politics so i don’t remember this. However, i doubt he did it from a position of virtue signaling but instead did it from a belief that he honestly had something to offer. Whether he did in fact have anything meaningful to offer or not is undoubtedly debatable.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    no surprise... he honors no traditions now.

Given the nature of the job, I suspect any source of income a President reported would be construed as a conflict of interest by somebody.
    The only somebody that matter are those who scrutinize government employees. The rest don't matter. All other presidents were scrutinized because they put their cards on the table. The current prez obviously is using the presidency for his own personal interests. Now trump wants to use his resort in Miami for the G7 meeting next year. This he is talking about openly. Talk about conflict of interest!

Thread Information