Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Britishisms—another post

Britishisms—another post

I checked all threads here and it’s been many years since we’ve had an entire thread devoted to British sayings. So I’m starting a new one because I’m running into so many of them.

I’m watching a wonderful show on interior design set in great Britain. It is called The Great Interior Design Challenge. It has three non-professional people who want to be interior designers and gives them a budget of 1000 pounds and has them update a room in competition with each other. Each of them gets their own room to renovate.

What’s great about this is it all of the rooms are in very very interesting historic properties.

So they’re using the word “bespoke” in every episode.You know, I read a lot of British novels or at least I read in the past a fair number of them and that word is one I’ve only heard once or twice and I had no idea that it meant custom-made. Or Do It Yourself.

So just now I heard yet another British phrase on the show that I had never heard before called “pipped to the Post” . This apparently means narrowly defeated.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 8-29-19 at 12:44pm.

IL - that’s brilliant. XX

I'm bloody well chuffed to bits at the opportunity to hear more.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I'm partial to "whilst," myself...

Currently I am besotted with the word “mental” as in “Are you MENTAL???!!” Meaning crazy.

The show is so great, wish I had seen it earlier on
    Netflix. It is the best home decor show I have ever seen. While it is true that the designers get only a tiny budget and three days to do their job and that always is very limiting in quality of work, it is also true that there are bits of architectural history thrown in that are wonderful.

I winced when one chick pulled off original Victorian wainscoting in order to put up – her idea of townhouse paneling. Their architectural advisor commented lady, you have Victorian paneling why are you putting up another version of it? I hate it when they painted the beautiful pine floors, floors that were 300 - 400 years old. This hurts my heart. Someone with a bigger budget would have bought a nice rug and left gorgeous original floors alone.

But this made me laugh: in one of the shows where they renovated beach huts in a tiny perfect seaside town, one of the designers used as her inspiration something that was “New England. “. You know, I just could not grok this. Here they are in the motherland, olde England, And they are using the new cheap copy as their inspiration? Duh.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Currently I am besotted with the word “mental” as in “Are you MENTAL???!!” Meaning crazy.
    But this made me laugh: in one of the shows where they renovated beach huts in a tiny perfect seaside town, one of the designers used as her inspiration something that was “New England. “. You know, I just could not grok this. Here they are in the motherland, olde England, And they are using the new cheap copy as their inspiration? Duh.
    Hey wait a minute! Not a "cheap copy," but rather the improved version!

Bob's your uncle!

Cheeky monkey

Feeling peckish (use that one all the time)

Keep your hair on

Sorry (instead of "excuse me" or "What?"

Early in the morning I sometimes listen to Bloomberg Radio, originating from London.

When the Brit reader speaks of a decimal point, it's "spot".

I thank the Brits for "knees-up": a social gathering.

Knees up, Mother Brown,
    Knees up, Mother Brown,
    Knees up, Knees up!
    Never let them breeze up.
    Knees up, Mother Brown.

Quote Originally Posted by pony mom View Post
    Cheeky monkey

Feeling peckish (use that one all the time)

Keep your hair on

Sorry (instead of "excuse me" or "What?"
    “feeling peckish” always makes me smile

Thread Information