Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: KFC's Beyond Meat chicken nugget things?

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    I read an article recently (let me see if I can find it, I will post it here) that said that the most effective diet for our massive human population was a "lacto-vegetarian" diet.

The reasons were that there is a lot of land that is not good for growing plants for humans to eat, but is good for goats and cows. Eating the cows and goats is too intensive, but growing goats and cows for milk is the most effective way to use that land.
    plus the goats would keep the grass cut down and eliminate mowing, blowing, weed walking and so on with the associated fossil fuel use and noise

I would really like to see more ruminants involved in public land maintenance. It seems so logical.
    Was thinking about all the neighborhoods in small town America at the turn of the last century with carriage houses and horses, on small plots. Also very logical.

Which reminds me of one of my favorite childhood memories, of the milkman in Savannah with the horsedrawn wagon. And that's within my lifetime!

Interesting article on emissions from chemical fertilizer plants: http://ens-newswire.com/2019/06/06/u...hane-reported/
    Spoiler--they're a lot higher than reported. Better to fertilize the old fashioned way.

I can't even walk down the fertilizer aisle at the hardware store without having an asthma attack, so I agree about fertilizing the old fashioned way.

Our city uses goats to browse on the weeds in the city open spaces, but it’s definitely an underutilized opportunity. I think they need to be fenced out of areas with native flowers and shrubs and they use some portable fencing that gets moved one place to another.

I have a raised bed garden plus a small open garden. It’s impressive how much food can be grown at home without a tremendous amount of work.

Is there a way to raise cows and goats that does not kill them or take away their babies? And if so, then why not? Seems like a good way to fertilize land and get milk.

Is there a way to raise cows and goats that does not kill them or take away their babies? And if so, then why not? Seems like a good way to fertilize land and get milk.
    Consult with your local 4Hers, or your state ag extension office.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Consult with your local 4Hers, or your state ag extension office.
    https://www.ahimsamilk.org/

https://gnecofarm.org/

Of course but there are inherent problems. Have to be careful though because inbreeding is as big a problem in livestock as it is in humans. Both species breed and deliver annually so the herd grows exponentially.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    I have a raised bed garden plus a small open garden. It’s impressive how much food can be grown at home without a tremendous amount of work.
    So true. And if one goes biointensive....it gets crazy productive. Remember these folks? https://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-2501...-backyard.html

Thread Information