Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: KFC's Beyond Meat chicken nugget things?

If they’re tasty I will eat them. Life is too short to fret over such things.

I was vegetarian for over 10 years, and I am not into trying to turn plants into "meat." Tofu dogs are the worst, but tempeh that's supposed to be steak, and soy that's supposed to be milk....it is not satisfying to me in any way. If you want to go vegetarian, go vegetarian. Don't try to make plants into something they're not. Results are guaranteed to be disappointing.

No way would I eat KFC meat-like nuggets.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thanks for this thread. Labor day used to be the one holiday I loved. The one day a year, I got to go swimming, and the one day a year I had KFC.
    While home cooked chicken is best, this was a treat as a kid, and still feels like it.
    Generally, when I go out for chicken, it is Churches (closer), and strips, after swallowing a bone while driving and almost wreaking trying to get pulled over.

I prefer Popeye’s, although I’m not a fanatic about it. Church’s, KFC or Chik-Fil-A are all perfectly acceptable for my fried fowl needs.

McNuggets are handy for eating one-handed while driving, but otherwise unremarkable. McDonald’s continues to ignore my suggestions for fried beef or pork nuggets.

Will kfc be cooking these things in the same oil that they cook the chicken? Burger king is cooking theirs on the same grill they make normal burgers on so it isn’t really vegetarian. I assume they also do this with the veggie burgers since otherwise why wouldn't they cook the new ones on the same grill as them.

I have eaten one of the impossible burgers. It was a pleasant enough experience but i certainly won’t go out of my way to eat another.

Not to mention any added cheese and mayo, which won't satisfy the vegan aspects. I looked up the nutritional value of the impossible burger patty. No cholesterol, but the rest seemed like pretty much a wash compared to a meat patty. Saturated fats are up due to the use of coconut and sunflower oils, the salt content is a little higher, less protein. Calories are about the same. I'd say the best reason to get an impossible burger whopper is environmental impact rather than any big health aspects. Whether it's cooked on the same grill as a meat patty seems insignificant to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    I'd say the best reason to get an impossible burger whopper is environmental impact rather than any big health aspects.
    I really wonder about this. It seems there is a lot of industrial infrastructure needed to design and manufacture fake meats. This can't be good for the environment.

I continue to find it interesting that Vegetarians continue to "create meat" products. An oxymoron IMO. I will NOT be trying fake chicken at KFC. Give me full extra crispy fried chicken once per year. The "ugh" feeling I get lasts and lasts. but damn I love it while I'm eating it

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    I continue to find it interesting that Vegetarians continue to "create meat" products. An oxymoron IMO. I will NOT be trying fake chicken at KFC. Give me full extra crispy fried chicken once per year. The "ugh" feeling I get lasts and lasts. but damn I love it while I'm eating it
    I have never liked fake meats and never supported their creation. I am 40 and spent about 10 years of my life as a vegetarian (and counting, as I am vegetarian now).

I think some vegetarians eat and support fake meat because they miss things like fried chicken and cheese burgers.

But I think other vegetarians eat and support fake meat because they think it is the ticket converting others to vegetarianism.

I also think there is a small group of vegetarians who eat and support fake meats because it allows them to engage more fully in their social life.

For instance, a vegetarian who is hanging out with his omnivorous family to watch the first game of the World Series. They might be grilling up burgers and dogs, enjoying an Indian Summer evening in Autumn.
    This particular vegetarian might be thinking "I can just throw on a Beyond Meat burger and an Impossible dog, then I am fully enfranchised this experience!"

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    I have never liked fake meats and never supported their creation. I am 40 and spent about 10 years of my life as a vegetarian (and counting, as I am vegetarian now).

I think some vegetarians eat and support fake meat because they miss things like fried chicken and cheese burgers.

But I think other vegetarians eat and support fake meat because they think it is the ticket converting others to vegetarianism.

I also think there is a small group of vegetarians who eat and support fake meats because it allows them to engage more fully in their social life.

For instance, a vegetarian who is hanging out with his omnivorous family to watch the first game of the World Series. They might be grilling up burgers and dogs, enjoying an Indian Summer evening in Autumn.
    This particular vegetarian might be thinking "I can just throw on a Beyond Meat burger and an Impossible dog, then I am fully enfranchised this experience!"
    I think you're right about that. I do think it's much more likely for a vegetarian to ask the backyard griller to throw a Morningstar veggie burger on the grill with the other burgers than to stand in the kitchen making themselves chickpeas and couscous.

Missing certain meats is also definitely an experience for vegetarians. I allowed myself turkey on Thanksgiving and corned beef on St. Patrick's Day to deal with the meat-cravings. But fake meat does not cure meat cravings, at least in my experience. And I truly don't think that making fake meat available will convert meat-eaters to vegetarianism. My DH won't even eat grass-fed beef because he thinks it's too lean. I personally think that he has an irrational prejudice based on perception that if it's healthy or socially-responsible, it must suck.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information