Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is climate change something you care about?

Last week our Chief Environmental Scientist Prof. Sir Ian Boyd said that the technofix promised by our government would not be enough. The news was not carried in the main press as far as I could see. Maybe they put it on the obituary page.

In spite of the dire warnings that managed to survive the Brexit soap opera, I see people carry on in exactly the same carefree way, but hitting people too often with an unwelcome message may be counter productive. Our Green Party still gets just 1% of the vote.

I used to be an activist, and recently I wrote to those in power with my concerns. That will do for me.

What the world needs least is another angry person demanding action right now. Keeping things modest could be best. Living simply is enough for one person if a few people can see that it is perfectly ok, and even life enhancing.

I think the world is in deep trouble, but perhaps the only way out is through.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    I care very much about climate change and what destruction is going on with our sweet Mother Earth.

I've made many changes, considering the limitations of where we live. (a car dependent state, with urban sprawl and no sustainable communities.)
    *I've used cloth bags for 35 years already. Had to fight back then and some stores refused and stuffed purchases into plastic bags anyway.l.
    I had the same experience with my bags too. Or time's I rode my bike to the store and put groceries in my backpack.

Climate is a huge topic in buddhism right now, has been for awhile. I went on retreat to an eco dharma center. There was a lot of intention around how we did things like waste and water consciousness. One of the teachers, David Loy, writes about eco dharma (dharma is buddhist teachings). I am also in a situation where it is hard to do everything I want.

I am sort of a meh person.
    Does climate change affect us, yes. Are we the root or only cause, I doubt it, (things are theories until proven) but we are a factor. Will one person make a difference, not unless that person can scientifically prove what could be done and that it will work.
    The stuff always says, save the planet, but the planet will be fine until something (sun explodes, other body) slams into it. What won't be is several species, or they will be reduced in numbers, to a sustainable level, to start the process over again.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    (things are theories until proven)
    That's not how it works.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/startsw...oof-is-a-myth/

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post

That was always how I was taught. It is a working theory, until such time as we can get to a point to prove something, may be LONG after we are dead.

That was always how I was taught. It is a working theory, until such time as we can get to a point to prove something, may be LONG after we are dead.
    My point was, you don't "prove" scientific theories. That very concept is an inversion of how science works.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_theory

Unfortunately, this confusion between the scientific and vernacular use of the word "theory" and the connotations connected with each approach, cause confusion in discussions over policy.

I blame poor schooling in America.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Unfortunately, this confusion between the scientific and vernacular use of the word "theory" and the connotations connected with each approach, cause confusion in discussions over policy.

I blame poor schooling in America.
    How about language itself. Legalese verses regular language, or other examples of things that while named the same mean different things. (list the primary colors, then you need to know if your talking about paint, or if light is the spectrum)

How about language itself.
    Since we were discussing "climate change", I presumed we were discussing things in the realm of science, with proper terminology, and not just hand-waving.

There is your dilemma, assuming all things are equal (including education). Things like chemistry classes without chemistry, teachers that made Stephen Wright comedy routine seem like dynamic in range, and classes with students that had put you at gun/knifepoint.
    I am much better with language, because books were an escape.
    Maybe when I retire, I will have time to go back to college. (only got through one semester, working full time, school and a hospice situation at the same time)

I’ve been traveling less and consuming less and even turning lights out earlier. I call my strategy “aging”.

For the country as a whole, I see us eventually moving to a renewable/nuclear mix. No need for legions of commissars enforcing a million new regulations.

Thread Information