Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is climate change something you care about?

I definitely care. We recycle, replaced all the carpet with pergo as it lasts much longer, have Astro-turf, plants on irrigation, etc.

I do care, not necessarily about "climate change"--but about all the changes occurring because of the many ways in which our planet is increasingly unsustainable, thanks to us. I am sad that so many species are extinct; I'm sad that the Great Coral Reef is dead; I'm sad that plastics and chemicals are making it impossible for anyone to be able to use most of the water on the planet (I believe 2% of all the water on the planet is potable). I decry the lack of reverence for nature in general, and I see where that's going--to a total decimation of our natural resources.

I agree with Daniel Quinn (Ishmael) in that in nature there are Leavers and Takers, and we are all Takers. I agree with Derrick Jensen that civilization has pretty much doomed us. I also believe that "just taking shorter showers" is not the answer.

In terms of my own efforts at sustainability, I have a long way to go, but I have downsized to <700 square feet. I grow backyard food; I drive a hybrid car; I live in a caring community that is open to sharing.

I need to: invest in renewables like solar, fly less, waste less. I need to be more of an activist for change.

I believe that focusing on "climate change" misses the point of the wholesale destruction happening while we acidify the ocean, pollute the air, poison our pollinators. We need to see nature as sacred rather than a commodity or a resource.

As the late Stephen Covey would say, our ladder is leaning against the wrong wall. We think we want something, but that something is enabling the destruction of the life that sustains us.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I do care, not necessarily about "climate change"--but about all the changes occurring because of the many ways in which our planet is increasingly unsustainable, thanks to us. I am sad that so many species are extinct; I'm sad that the Great Coral Reef is dead; I'm sad that plastics and chemicals are making it impossible for anyone to be able to use most of the water on the planet (I believe 2% of all the water on the planet is potable). I decry the lack of reverence for nature in general, and I see where that's going--to a total decimation of our natural resources.

I agree with Daniel Quinn (Ishmael) in that in nature there are Leavers and Takers, and we are all Takers. I agree with Derrick Jensen that civilization has pretty much doomed us. I also believe that "just taking shorter showers" is not the answer.

In terms of my own efforts at sustainability, I have a long way to go, but I have downsized to <700 square feet. I grow backyard food; I drive a hybrid car; I live in a caring community that is open to sharing.

I need to: invest in renewables like solar, fly less, waste less. I need to be more of an activist for change.

I believe that focusing on "climate change" misses the point of the wholesale destruction happening while we acidify the ocean, pollute the air, poison our pollinators. We need to see nature as sacred rather than a commodity or a resource.

As the late Stephen Covey would say, our ladder is leaning against the wrong wall. We think we want something, but that something is enabling the destruction of the life that sustains us.
    That pretty much covers my views so thank you for that, Cath.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    That pretty much covers my views so thank you for that, Cath.
    Yes, nicely said.

Yes, thank you.

Yes, I care immensely. Today I bought a $400 tree (ouch!!) to be planted next week in the place of a giant spruce that fell. I won't be here to see it get big but I like to think that planting trees helps. I happen to believe that if humans disappeared earth would heal itself quite nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    Yes, I care immensely. Today I bought a $400 tree (ouch!!) to be planted next week in the place of a giant spruce that fell. I won't be here to see it get big but I like to think that planting trees helps. I happen to believe that if humans disappeared earth would heal itself quite nicely.
    I couldn't agree more about the planet; maybe if we just made assault weapons more readily available, we could speed up the process. (But I have to say I'm rather overfond of the consumption infrastructure that got a new keyboard to me within 24 hours...)

depends on if one's sees climate and the ability of the atmosphere and ocean etc. to absorb CO2 as the first and most complete hard limit we'll hit. And I don't know. Hard limit for what? Well for species already extinct not them, that's already passed. Maybe for billions of people, maybe for humanity, maybe for mammals, maybe for life on earth, I don't know. Seeing nature as a resource would actually be a step up, as we actually don't now, not comprehensively.
    Trees don't grow on money

What I wonder is, if through some creative lifestyle design, personal restraint, and a little luck, could the average American living in any region of the USA live a 90%+ sustainable life?

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    What I wonder is, if through some creative lifestyle design, personal restraint, and a little luck, could the average American living in any region of the USA live a 90%+ sustainable life?
    I think that would require a significant effort, given the current infrastructure and supply chains that exist in the USA, and how thoroughly the sustainable ones have been stomped out.

Thread Information