Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Is climate change something you care about?

I think there are two accepted definitions of theory. One is the common use, where theory and conjecture are similar. But scientific theory is not the same and involves the scientific method to go through hypothesis, testing, and data analysis, which then makes a scientific theory. It doesn't take an especially high level of book learning to understand how climate scientists have developed the scientific theory of climate change and at least at my level of understanding is not much different than the same process that has resulted in the "scientific theory" of gravity. It is well beyond common conjecture. For example, https://climate.nasa.gov/news/2743/t...ientists-know/. There are plenty of other short articles one can google up on the topic fairly easily that are not difficult reading. My take anyway.

The example of the moon test of gravity is simply the testing of hypothesis to gather data. Because it agrees with many other tests of the hypothesis is provides further data to validate the scientific theory. (Can we prove beyond reasonable doubt that man actually went to the moon? Some think not).

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    (Can we prove beyond reasonable doubt that man actually went to the moon? Some think not).
    Well, those folks are just plain silly.

I had dinner just two weeks ago with a man who was there.

I've also shot a laser at a hand-placed target that is sitting on the surface of the moon, to measure the earth-moon distance.

I mean, there are those who say the Holocaust didn't happen too, but they are silly, or evil, folks.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Well, those folks are just plain silly....
    I know. If it wasn't plain, I was using the example that no matter how much evidence exists, it will never be enough for some and there will always be deniers.

Heck, the Flat Earthers even have a yearly convention!

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I've also shot a laser at a hand-placed target that is sitting on the surface of the moon, to measure the earth-moon distance.
    Are you Sheldon or Leonard?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Are you Sheldon or Leonard?
    Alas not.

The flat earthers are even collecting data.

I have met a couple of people who have absolutely fixed ideas.

It's an identity thing.. If only people would chill out a bit., . I like the Zen instruction : Don't just do something, sit there.

An amazing explanation of rigid thinking can be found on U tube by Googling The Master and His Emissary by Iain McGilchrist. Hope you can get this in the U. S. The book was a two reads effort for me, but worth the time. He has some interesting observations about Eastern modes of thought.

Late posting here. I care. I am reaching 60 years soon. I used to be a change the world, you bet I can! I have reached the point of I can only change my little dot I live on. My biking and walking and Hybrid car and recycling can not compete with the waste that goes on with large companies or other people. It can only make me feel like I am doing something.
    I have a great interest in nature. Our cattails are disappearing at a fast rate, an invasive grass is replacing them. Oh how pretty those look to many. I see sadness as my beloved red wing blackbirds are disappearing due to nesting space gone in cattails. I have no snakes at my home I moved too, toads are zero, monarchs were gone last year. So I have planted a large patch of milkweed seeds so maybe they will visit. I have ready broken flower pots to set in the gardens for maybe snakes and toads. I have assorted bird boxes ready to hang when the weather breaks for the screech owls, wrens, bluebirds. Small things but I will feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by BikingLady View Post
    Late posting here. I care. I am reaching 60 years soon. I used to be a change the world, you bet I can! I have reached the point of I can only change my little dot I live on. My biking and walking and Hybrid car and recycling can not compete with the waste that goes on with large companies or other people. It can only make me feel like I am doing something.
    I have a great interest in nature. Our cattails are disappearing at a fast rate, an invasive grass is replacing them. Oh how pretty those look to many. I see sadness as my beloved red wing blackbirds are disappearing due to nesting space gone in cattails. I have no snakes at my home I moved too, toads are zero, monarchs were gone last year. So I have planted a large patch of milkweed seeds so maybe they will visit. I have ready broken flower pots to set in the gardens for maybe snakes and toads. I have assorted bird boxes ready to hang when the weather breaks for the screech owls, wrens, bluebirds. Small things but I will feel better.
    Those are wonderful "small" things to be doing! I like to think that my small things and your small things and the small things from - hopefully - many more people, are really making a difference. Small things add up!
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information