Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: All white neighborhood or all black neighborhood?

All white neighborhood or all black neighborhood?

I know, you are probably saying: "It's a trap!"

But I asked this question of several friends, black friends and white friends.
    The answers were interesting. So I thought I would toss this question on here.

If you had to choose to live in an all black neighborhood or an all white neighborhood, which would you choose?

I choose by price and location and house--have lived in all black neighborhoods twice, well since I'm not black I guess they were no longer all-black, so I'm thinking you mean preponderantly one or another?

So many folks living in neighborhoods now that I'm not sure the white/black dichotomy is legit at this point? Lots of historically "all white" neighborhoods have folks who are Asian, so not sure.

I live in an all white “neighborhood” surrounded by hostile world views.

everything else being equal, they would be equal. As everything else is unlikely to be equal, I would pick on other traits. One if my important traits being “rural” statistically I would pick all white. As I did, Even though I know of several white minority areas where I would like my neighbors more. Those neighbors would just be too close.

also, I can’t live in an all black neighborhood because by definition it would not be if I lived there.

my husband’s aunt and uncle chose predominately white suburban neighborhoods when their boys were growing up because they wanted good schools. Their family is 75% “black” (based on mixed race children being generally considered black in the USA, and the children’s skin tone)

I prefer to live (and do) in a well-to-do neighborhood where the properties are well maintained and the overall ambiance is quiet and peaceful. It is neither all white or all black so people favoring one over the other may find it lacking somehow.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Here is a smattering of answers I got from friends I know well.

Black woman: "All white. White people love me!"

Black woman: "All Black. Black people are cool with you throwing house parties and barbecues. They don't care if you roll up with a bunch of motorcycles and sh1t!"

Black woman: "All black. My significant other is white. I need all that blackness to balance out his whiteness!"

White woman: "Don't care. I don't know any of my neighbors anyway and I don't care to."

Jewish guy: "I cannot answer. Not enough info."

Black woman: "All white. White people are more considerate neighbors. There is less drama in white neighborhoods."

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I prefer to live (and do) in a well-to-do neighborhood where the properties are well maintained and the overall ambiance is quiet and peaceful. It is neither all white or all black so people favoring one over the other may find it lacking somehow.
    Pure Alan right here!

When I lived in Wisconsin it was very segregated and even in small Kenosha the all black neighborhood wasn’t safe for white people to be alone without a black friend. I went to school and it was mixed and I had black friends. Then we moved to Kansas and in our brand new subdivision it was mixed which I prefer and same with where we live now except the major minority group is Hispanic. I want the neighborhood kept up and people to be nice.

dude, dumb question.

There really isnt any such thing as “all white” or “all black” neighborhoods, even in my racially divided city.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    +1
    My neighbourhood has all ages, colours and nationalities. I vist with them all as I walk my little dog. Yeah, I know what you will say- there I go being Canadian again.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    dude, dumb question.

There really isnt any such thing as “all white” or “all black” neighborhoods, even in my racially divided city.
    Use your imagination.

Thread Information