Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: Vegetarian men: Seen as less manly, but more ethical. Your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Ummm, Rob is a frequent target of UL’s arguments.
    I thought for sure when you said this that Jeppy and/or TT, or maybe Herbgeek, would say: "See?! UL is homophobic too!"

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Jane generally says wise or useful things...
    What do you define as wisdom? What do you define as useful?

...and generally engages in honest discussion over differences.
    I am dubious about this claim.

They'd be a fun person to have coffee with.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    When a thread about one topic turns into a referendum about a poster, what does that mean?

Just musing here.
    They poke a badger and then act indignant when it snarls at them. Makes perfect sense.

I've never gotten any misogynist vibes from you, UL. I do get the sense that you really enjoy verbal sparring or debating as an intellectual exercise, and there is nothing wrong with that. Sometimes though, it seems like your "opponent" isn't on the same page and feels like s/he is being badgered. I guess people need to sometimes state more explicitly that they don't wish to debate or aren't having fun anymore.
    I have always enjoyed interacting with Jeppy, but I'll agree that it isn't nice for her to keep taking shots at you over the whole student loan forgiveness thing. But it never fails to get a rise out of you, so maybe she keeps doing it because she thinks it's fun to get you going.

I don't get misogyny particularly out of ULs post on this forum (when he talks about dating maybe). I get picking a fight with anyone over anything sometimes maybe (in the other thread though it wasn't UL that picked it, as I mentioned there, but when I saw how nasty that thread became I wondered why I was defending either one of them!).

UL is fundamentally an ascetic maybe, no alcohol, no caffeine, no meat, no possessions etc. (the anti-consumerism finds sympathy here of course, the rest some are vegetarians ...). And if it's an out and out accusation over being unethical over not being a vegetarian when he wasn't even one before then ... whatever UL is this month is the only way to be.

The thing is though although of course there are ethical argument for vegetarianism, it really shouldn't be that surprising if some people do better with animal products as pretty much all human cultures evolved that way, it's not something relatively recent to humanity (eggs and dairy sometimes suffice, some are allergic to eggs and dairy etc.). Few here disrespect vegetarians though. And actually personally I'm not knee jerk anti-asceticism even.
    Trees don't grow on money

Trolls make good soylent green.
    Trolls are the fruit flies of the Internet.
    Seattle troll.jpg

Long-term vegans may suffer from hormonal deficiencies, which could lead to sexual problems. Excessive soy, poor absorption of zinc, and avoidance of heme iron are some causes. I imagine this is behind perceptions.

I haven't any personal experience with this, as I don't know any male vegans, but it took no time at all for my own hormones to take a dive on a vegan regime.

A provocative commentary I ran across on Twitter:

Every vegetarian on the planet is here because their ancestors ate meat, and the health to reproduce. LCHF, keto, paleo have worked for several million years. Going veg & getting a tattoo doesn't make you a rebel, it makes you the last descendant in your lineage.

I believe a carefully-managed vegetarian diet can support reproduction, so don't entirely agree--not to mention it's clearly hyperbole--but I'm in accord with the global perspective. Dwindling population in this world is not necessarily a bad thing.

UL, should stay and I will take a break. It’s my problem if I cannot handle him.

Thread Information