Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Vegetarian men: Seen as less manly, but more ethical. Your thoughts?

Naukati Bay, Prince of Wales Island, Alaska
    Red Meat... make us strong.. build big muscle.. uggggg...

somebody cant eat meat or chooses not to, doesnt make them weaker, it makes them stronger when holding on to convictions or conditions... dont want no shallow woman anyway.

Ugg.. AlaskanGuy caveman Speak

Some Vegans have a very aggressive and vocal agenda. That's where that comes from. At least in my view.

Me and my husband are vegeterians so for me it was fantastic and I loved that. I can tell you that we love to cook together and our cooking experince is perfect. We make variety of different salads, we have great kitchen gadgets tools like kitchenaid julienne peelers and we all the time make new recipes. On the other hand, I have a friend that her husband is vegeterian and she isn't and she tell me that it's starting to make a negetive impact on their relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by Luna6544 View Post
    I have a friend that her husband is vegeterian and she isn't and she tell me that it's starting to make a negetive impact on their relationship.
    My DH and I did the carnivore/vegetarian split for 10 years, and it worked out OK. It never was a problem in our relationship. He and I were both accepting of each others' preferences. I simply came up with a vegetarian protein in place of whatever meat protein he was eating (i.e., he made steak for himself and a grilled portobello mushroom for me), and often the side dishes overlapped.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

My husband is vegetarian and I am not, and I am the family's primary cook. It was difficult for me at first, because I grew up with the paradigm of meat, starch vegetable for meal planning. That was my automatic go to when I was tired/stressed/used all my brain power at work. I choose not to do meat analogs most of the time, they are expensive and often very processed and my husband went veg for health reasons. I've expanded my repertoire to other ways of filling the plate- I now do things like hot vegetable/cold vegetable or veg/veg of a different color or texture/starch or bean/legume dish with a veggie side. In the winter there are more one dish meals/stews.

So it was never a relationship matter, just that it took more effort to change my default ways of doing things.

We don't meat but we have been eating turkey and fish.

We are both having qualms about the turkey lately, but it is so convenient, and gives you something easy to prepare, and we are cooking dogfood with it, etc.

Maybe this is the winter we will start turkey-free.

Autocorrect is so weird--it chawed dogfood to dogwood. How can I turn it off??

Now it is messing with me. It changed changed to chawed. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Tiam View Post
    Some Vegans have a very aggressive and vocal agenda. That's where that comes from. At least in my view.
    I think the vegans are correct in their critiques. Though I think vegetarian is as far as I will go for the long term.

I don't think I shared this on here, but it is kind of cool.

https://vegetariancalculator.com/

https://thevegancalculator.com/#calculator

(Disclaimer: I am not certain these calculators are accurate, but they might be.)

“Animals not eaten” is a very fuzzy concept. I identify as a vegetarian, because it makes feeding me simpler for other people, but I am an occasional pescatarian having been raised on a coast with amazing fresh seafood. Sometimes I eat dozens of tiny animals in one meal.

also, for the record, turkey and fish are meat. I feel a need to say this because I am so tired of my mil trying to insist that my vegetarian son in law and I can eat chicken, or broth, or jello. I mean, I do understand not knowing about the jello, but chicken? I think the perceived preachiness may come from people’s exhausted attempts to explain their diets to other people who don’t get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    also, for the record, turkey and fish are meat. I feel a need to say this because I am so tired of my mil trying to insist that my vegetarian son in law and I can eat chicken, or broth, or jello. I mean, I do understand not knowing about the jello, but chicken? I think the perceived preachiness may come from people’s exhausted attempts to explain their diets to other people who don’t get it.
    Thank you! I started being vegetarian at 16 and have not had much of anything positive outside my social group. I get so tired of both answering peoples shock and trying not to be the rude vegetarian. I finally just told me mother that obviously I don't think meat is necessary or healthy, I didn't say that for 30 years. I haven't done so much explaining as tiptoeing and apologizing.

Thread Information