Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Vegetarian men: Seen as less manly, but more ethical. Your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg44 View Post
    I have been vegetarian for nearly 20 years, off and on 100% plant base. I get flack about it all the time. I use to be nice - but now I just poke back.
    The whole eat meat manly thing I find just stupid. And yet they still drink breast milk. whahahahaha
    I poke back also, really over it since the first time I stopped eating meat I was 16 (now 52). It is just crap to hear about it all the time. At work I have a chart at the snack table for any food issues of any of the children. When I have subs come out I show them around including that list. I get comments on the vegetarian students often, so I tell them I don't eat meat.

I think next time someone comments that I look young I am going to say veggie instead of meditator

My partner pivoted from keto to vegetarian so fast I don't even know what. Me I think ALL I really care about as far as diet is being healthy and maintaining health as best as possible (I limit red meat though so there's my being socially responsible, I suppose. I also try to buy local and avoid most imported produce).

And of course many health problems are not caused by diet and lifestyle, and sometimes other treatments are needed, and sometimes we just live with some aches and pains. It's just as far as diet all I care about is health really. And I lost 6 pounds just by avoiding sugar and wheat, and avoiding added fats, and eating more protein, and exercising more, and being a tiny bit hungry (only a tiny bit), and barely going out to eat (not that I did that much anyway), and being really really bored with my menu, and my body is going to fight me on losing anymore short of a much more extreme diet I think. And I get sick on extreme diets! And I'm tired and no doctor would say I have to lose weight for health anyway, even though I could also be healthy if I did (I'm not too thin or anything), it's just body is fighting me too much to bother at this point. And I'll just try to stay the weight I am now, and my diet is a compromise omnivorous real food often organic diet with very little junk food of any type, ho hum.
    Trees don't grow on money

So Jane, i’m Curious. You say you failed at being an “ethical vegan”. And that currently you think adults should eat as they wish.

does that mean your ethics changed, or that you choose not to judge others by your ethical beliefs? If you ethical stance changed, why? And if not, does that mean you consider your current diet unethical? How does that work in your head - consciously making making the wrong choice? Do you tell yourself “this is unethical, but i’m Ok with doing it?” How does that affect your view of yourself? Or do you feel you have no choice? (Which seems undermined by your comment on the unexplored vegetarian path)

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    So Jane, i’m Curious. You say you failed at being an “ethical vegan”. And that currently you think adults should eat as they wish.

does that mean your ethics changed, or that you choose not to judge others by your ethical beliefs? If you ethical stance changed, why? And if not, does that mean you consider your current diet unethical? How does that work in your head - consciously making making the wrong choice? Do you tell yourself “this is unethical, but i’m Ok with doing it?” How does that affect your view of yourself? Or do you feel you have no choice? (Which seems undermined by your comment on the unexplored vegetarian path)
    Animals are going to die in great numbers as long as we have industrial agriculture (didn't I make that point? I meant to), the only animals I saved during my tenure as a vegetarian were the cats i took in; I believe those who say we need ruminants grazing pasture land for the good of the soil; emissions related to animal husbandry are a tiny percentage of those generated by various other "culprits"--maybe 2-3 percent--and even those could be curtailed if we got rid of CAFOS and waste lagoons. Really, "unethical" isn't a word I generally apply to my or others' eating patterns; the best diet for any one of us is one that contributes to our individual health and well-being. I think this aggressive push for all of us to eat soyburgers instead of pastured ruminants will be as disastrous as the seventies' Ancel Keys' "fat is the devil" fad that is still hanging on. If I gave the impression that I thought eating was a matter of ethics, I apologize.

ETA: I went back and reread my original post and thought it was more clearly written than this one. I put "ethical vegetarian" in quotes because my intent in going meatless was to support my health and to somehow save or protect animal life. (Which sounds amazingly naive in retrospect.) After six years or so, I realized better health and the salvation of the animal kingdom were not going to happen.

I think it is important to note here that what Jane is saying is just her opinion -- things she believes in because she wants to believe in them. Confirmation bias is extraordinarily strong in her. I have never seen it stronger in anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Animals are going to die in great numbers as long as we have industrial agriculture (didn't I make that point? I meant to)...
    How do you know this? How do you define "great?" Also: Could there be one "great" number for industrial ag that involves farming animals for food vs. one "great" number for an industrial ag that does not involve farming animals for food?

Did you make "that point?" Uh... You said words. But you did not make a point.

...I believe those who say we need ruminants grazing pasture land for the good of the soil...
    Why do you believe this? On which studies or systematic reviews do you derive these beliefs?

...emissions related to animal husbandry are a tiny percentage of those generated by various other "culprits"--maybe 2-3 percent--and even those could be curtailed if we got rid of CAFOS and waste lagoons.
    How do you know this? Can you show me the studies?

How can CAFOS and waste lagoons be gotten rid of?

Really, "unethical" isn't a word I generally apply to my or others' eating patterns
    Convenient.

...the best diet for any one of us is one that contributes to our individual health and well-being.
    That is an "ethic." One I would called flawed by incomplete data and oversimplification.

I think this aggressive push for all of us to eat soyburgers instead of pastured ruminants will be as disastrous as the seventies' Ancel Keys' "fat is the devil" fad that is still hanging on.
    You have no research to back up this speculation, do you?

If I gave the impression that I thought eating was a matter of ethics, I apologize.
    If eating is not a matter of ethics, then is anything a matter of ethics?

ETA: I went back and reread my original post and thought it was more clearly written than this one.
    Uh... not really.

I put "ethical vegetarian" in quotes because my intent in going meatless was to support my health and to somehow save or protect animal life.
    Okay...?

(Which sounds amazingly naive in retrospect.)
    Why do you say that?

After six years or so, I realized better health and the salvation of the animal kingdom were not going to happen.
    Why do you take aspirin everyday?

Trolls make good soylent green.

Trolls make good soylent green.
    Yes! Particularly trolls who only pick apart women's posts. They don't try to do their BS against other men, just people they perceive as being weaker than them.

Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    Yes! Particularly trolls who only pick apart women's posts. They don't try to do their BS against other men, just people they perceive as being weaker than them.
    If you are going to level unfounded accusations toward me, insinuating that I have some sort of bias against women I will simply leave this forum. And you might be happy about that. But I want you to look back through my posts and see how many supportive things I have said regarding women's posts. You don't notice them. Why?

And I want it to be noted that Jeppy comes flying at me all the time with insults to my character. So poking at UL is cool, until he pokes back? Got it. Understood. If that is the rule, then I am happy to leave.

Feel free to take your ball and go home if you'd like to. No I wouldn't prefer that, it would be your choice. I actually welcome most of your interaction and appreciate what you bring to the table. When you were gone for a while over the summer, it got kind of quiet and I actually missed your posting.

However. There are times when I'm guessing you are lonely/angry/some negative emotion, and you start controversy for sport. And you can be really mean. And I've only seen you do that to women.

You do not have these extended disagreements with Bae or Alan (who I perceive to be the most "alpha" on the board). Yes, you are supportive of women in some threads. You are not binary, you are a continuum. I'm not accusing you of always running down women. You don't. But when you get into one of those "Boom! I dismantled your argument, aren't you humilated" type of threads, it is always against a woman.

Quote Originally Posted by herbgeek View Post
    Feel free to take your ball and go home if you'd like to.
    It is not like that. It is that when someone comes on here busting my chops and then I throw some zingers back at them I am the bad guy. How does that compute?

Hell, for the first half of our arguments when Jeppy first started laying into me months and months ago I thought she was a guy. I had no idea her sex/gender. I just thought she was a belligerent dude, maybe even drunk typing. Then she revealed things about herself and I realized she happened to be a woman with bad ideas and bad arguments.

Thread Information