Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Vegetarian men: Seen as less manly, but more ethical. Your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    ...there are many systems of ethics, and not all reach the same conclusions from the same set of facts.
    I totally agree with this statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    I totally agree with this statement.
    I used to subscribe to Peter Singer's brand of utilitarianism. Have you read Animal Liberation?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I used to subscribe to Peter Singer's brand of utilitarianism. Have you read Animal Liberation?
    I read part of it as an undergrad for a class. I have not read the whole thing.
    Though as I understand it, Singer said eating oysters was A-OK in Animal Liberation.

Why do you ask?

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post

Why do you ask?
    Just curious. I enjoy his arguments.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I’m willing to call mushrooms vegetarian. I’ve never heard an argument against, but i’d Listen to one.

Calling yourself a vegetarian and eating meat -
    - and oysters are meat. They are an animal. Trust me on this, I taught animal science last year with very good references and students who were invited to challenge me if they could support their argument. -
    - is like calling yourself a Christian because you agree with most of the Ten Commandments, never mind that pesky god/Jesus part.

i’m not Arguing wether it’s ok to eat oysters, i’m Just saying, they aren't vegetarian.

my friend calls herself “the world’s worst vegetarian” because she believes in vegetarianism, she tries to eat vegetarian, and she feeds herself vegetarian food, but she will totally eat chicken if you offer it to her.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    I’m willing to call mushrooms vegetarian.
    Why?

I’m willing to call mushrooms vegetarian. I’ve never heard an argument against, but i’d Listen to one.

Calling yourself a vegetarian and eating meat -
    - and oysters are meat. They are an animal. Trust me on this, I taught animal science last year with very good references and students who were invited to challenge me if they could support their argument. -
    - is like calling yourself a Christian because you agree with most of the Ten Commandments, never mind that pesky god/Jesus part.

i’m not Arguing wether it’s ok to eat oysters, i’m Just saying, they aren't vegetarian.

my friend calls herself “the world’s worst vegetarian” because she believes in vegetarianism, she tries to eat vegetarian, and she feeds herself vegetarian food, but she will totally eat chicken if you offer it to her.
    Sigh. This is why these kinds of discussions are boorish. And boring.

why do you feel it necessary to correct UL in his effort to be vegetarian? I think he knows oysters are of the animal kingdom.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Sigh. This is why these kinds of discussions are boorish. And boring.
    Then why take part in them? Why not just ignore these kinds of boorish discussions?

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post

I think he knows oysters are of the animal kingdom.
    "The animals moved and plants didn't, and that's how fungi got stuck with the plants," said Tom Volk, a professor of botany at the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse. (Source: https://www.livescience.com/53618-fungus.html)

Maybe the "kingdoms" were not created based on the best knowledge.

However, unlike plants, fungi do not contain the green pigment chlorophyll and therefore are incapable of photosynthesis. That is, they cannot generate their own food — carbohydrates — by using energy from light. This makes them more like animals in terms of their food habits. (Source: https://www.livescience.com/53618-fungus.html)

Thread Information