Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: September: get rid of one difficult thing per day

Yppej
    4 glass jars that I got because I didn't want to use plastic, but screwing and unscrewing the Mason jar style lids is a pain and they are hard to wash. I prefer my old plastic containers even though they leak. It was hard admitting my attempt at being ecofriendly failed.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    4 glass jars that I got because I didn't want to use plastic, but screwing and unscrewing the Mason jar style lids is a pain and they are hard to wash. I prefer my old plastic containers even though they leak. It was hard admitting my attempt at being ecofriendly failed.
    Someone else will enjoy them, I am sure. There is no shame in trying something and finding it is not going to work for you.

This one was very hard--a sweater vest my grandmother knitted for my father back in the 40's. The neck was unravelling. I couldn't get the yarn to unravel correctly to use it again, and I tried to felt it and that didn't work either.

She taught me how to knit, and I still miss her.

Recycled another old computer; difficulty was removing everything from it to newer computer for storage, dealing with old photos. Feel sad looking at dogs that have gone on to the big hunting ground in sky--or in my dog's case, the big ocean in the sky and the big flower garden in the sky, as that is how they liked to spend their time.

Also got rid of two backup power cords that went with it.

I am just about done with getting rid of everything I no longer use. I'm down to one small pile now. Took years.

There were some things I was hanging on to because of memories, but the memories were bittersweet. They reminded me of a time in my life when there was great happiness but also great sorrow. The sorrow was so strongly attached that the happy memories from that time could not cover it. I finally decided to let the items go. I'm glad I did. Now I only remember the happy times and no longer have the visuals that trigger the sorrow.

Tybee, I understand about the photos of the dogs. I have paw prints and hair swatches from pets long gone. They are in a file drawer and I cannot bring myself yet to get rid of them, nor can I bear to look at them. When I think about those dogs I have happy memories, but looking at the visuals trigger sorrow. I think those will be the last of the difficult things to get rid of, but I know I need to do it. There is no benefit to holding on.

I am having a book sale, not one difficult thing, but 1,000s, I hope! I loved having a bookstore, but need to move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Feel sad looking at dogs that have gone on to the big hunting ground in sky--or in my dog's case, the big ocean in the sky and the big flower garden in the sky, as that is how they liked to spend their time.

Also got rid of two backup power cords that went with it.
    I downsized big time but managed to bring Laddie and Nessie with me. Eventually they'll wind up in the garden or the lake, but I'm not ready yet.

IMG_0424.jpg
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I have 8 doggie urns and they will be mixed with my ashes before internment.

I mixed my little Gracie's ashes with the dirt around a rosebush and it became her rosebush.

Just got rid of an iPhone 5.

Yppej
    A mug I received as a gift that I did not like but which had positive emotions associated with it.

Thread Information