Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: September: get rid of one difficult thing per day

Okay, missed a day, so today got rid of two things--

a set of six dishes I really liked but have no room for and someone else will like them

10 food items from the pantry that I will never eat, not sure why we have them there

Difficult because of the idea I am wasting these things.

On the other hand, the waste seems to have occurred at the acquisition of the item since I did not then use it.

Yeah, I feel I did this challenge already last spring when I got rid of two tons of stuff. I admit, though, I insisted on keeping some things that I wasn't quite emotionally ready to give up. So, I'm going to sit out this particular challenge! But it's inspiring hearing everyone else's stories.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Yeah, I feel I did this challenge already last spring when I got rid of two tons of stuff. I admit, though, I insisted on keeping some things that I wasn't quite emotionally ready to give up. So, I'm going to sit out this particular challenge! But it's inspiring hearing everyone else's stories.
    You definitely slayed this one last spring. I wish I were ready to go wholesale like that but I'm still at the chipping away stage, emotionally speaking.

I am making progress. My matching champagne glasses went to DS1 and now I am using my parents' from the 50's and my Perrier Jouet ones that I have picked up at Goodwill over the years.

But not ready to get rid of all champagne glasses, if that makes sense.

Off-topic a little--not an "emotional" issue, but a practical one--this week I spent a night at my NJ house, where my son is now living. It was SO WEIRD walking into "my" house but none of my things were there. They are still in "getting settled" mode. But the thing that killed me was that the guest room was furnished with a very cheap, freshman dorm-quality futon. As I lay there, feeling the slats against my back, all I could think of was how we had THROWN OUT or given away 6 mattresses: two queen, 3 twin, and 1 futon with an UPGRADED mattress. We had asked my DIL when we were ready to get rid of them if she could use them and she didn't want them. I believe it was probably because DH smoked in his office, but some of the smoke did infiltrate the rest of the house. So I don't know if I'm just bummed in general, or annoyed at DIL for turning down something she clearly could have used, or annoyed at DH for ruining stuff with the cigar smoke. But it just seemed like such a darned shame.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I bet it was the smell from the cigarettes which is why she didn’t want it.

That would have really bugged me. What a shame they had you throw out the 6 mattresses and then bought more mattresses.

I guess I would have mixed feelings about having them rent the house. But you are a lot nicer than I and a lot more easy-going.

If anyone has been any smoking in a house, the mattresses would have to go if I moved in. Those who live around a smoker lose most of the ability to smell the smoke as we all do with constant smells around us. However, those who are not used to it can pick up even small amounts of the cigarette smells left behind. Cannot wash mattresses.

When many of us buy fabric or clothes on Ebay type sites, one of the biggest questions is whether it has been around any smokers (also pets). Asthma and allergies are nothing to ignore. I would not buy anything and even hope to get out cigarette/cigar smells.

Health and enjoyment of home are far more important to me than someone's worry about recycling.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    If anyone has been any smoking in a house, the mattresses would have to go if I moved in. Those who live around a smoker lose most of the ability to smell the smoke as we all do with constant smells around us. However, those who are not used to it can pick up even small amounts of the cigarette smells left behind. Cannot wash mattresses.

When many of us buy fabric or clothes on Ebay type sites, one of the biggest questions is whether it has been around any smokers (also pets). Asthma and allergies are nothing to ignore. I would not buy anything and even hope to get out cigarette/cigar smells.

Health and enjoyment of home are far more important to me than someone's worry about recycling.
    Of course you are quite right about asthma and allergies. I did not know that was a factor in this situation.

I'm sure others might not be allergic and still really hate the smell, so if the items did smell, better they got rid of them.

I just would think if the smoke was a problem, they would not have rented the house. But maybe that's not the case, either.

Was all set to get rid of a mandolin but then I sat down and played it. No longer wish to get rid of it as I like the sound and it's fun to play.

However it made me want to go play Gaelic music with other people, so this makes me feel lonely and isolated.

I think this is why I do not enjoy decluttering; it forces you to face life the way life is right now, instead of saying, oh, that aspect of things will get better someday, and I'll just keep the mandolin in case I find that group of people who want to play Gaelic music.

I don’t find getting rid of things hard anymore because I have done so much of it.

Thread Information